Certificate in couples and relationship counselling
Joan Manville, counsellor, psychosexual therapist and trainer. Dip. Couples counselling. Dip creative arts/therapeutic process. Dip management. Cert teaching.
To gain the necessary skills, knowledge and practice when working with couples/relationships.
- To build on existing skills and knowledge.
- Increased understanding of contractual and ethical requirements when working with couples.
- Gain an understanding of theoretical models when working with two clients.
- Engage in experiential activities to increase understanding and learning.
Introduction to couples and relationship counselling covering both theory and practice. This includes contracts, boundaries and ethical practice, couples expectations versus reality, the three stage model, relationship fit theory, invent a couple and skills practice.
Exploration of attachment and loss, collusion along with transference and projection. Make your own geneogrammeand discussion activity. Skills practice.
Understanding and managing conflicts in relationships through systems theory and the pinch/crunch Model. Skills practice.
Enhance the counsellor’s ability to confidently and without embarrassment discuss intimate relationships with couples, to recognise sexual dysfunctions for both men and women and if appropriate to make a referral to a sex therapist. Fantasy island activity and skills practice.
Day five: The final day will explore endings if a couple decide to separate, including the social aspects of separation and divorce,the different dynamics of helping couples end their relationship in an amicable manner,facilitating negotiations, Fisher’s rebuilding model and skills practice.
Participants are required to complete a portfolio of work relevant to couples and relationship counselling.
- Research and discuss the pros and cons when putting together a contract for couples and relationship counselling.
- Consider two boundary issues and explain why these are specific to couples counselling.
- Identify two ethical issues specific to couples counselling.
- Identify two theoretical approaches usedwith working with couples and list their key points.
- Write a brief book review on a relevant book and present it to the class.
You can find our more about my events on my website here:
About the host
Lynda Carter (MSc integrated counselling and psychotherapy) is facilitating CPD training for counsellors in Derbyshire.
The trainer is Joan Manville - qualified counsellor specialising in couples work, who now works as a freelance trainer.
E-mail Lynda Carter at email@example.com for a booking form.