Yordan Zhekov, PhD, MSc, MTh, MA, BTh
“It isn’t events that upset us, but our interpretation of those events.” Epictitus (Greek philosopher)
“…our thoughts, our emotions, our behaviour and therefore, our mental health are largely dependent on our understanding of the world, our thoughts about ourselves, other people, the future, and the world.” Peter Kinderman (Professor of Clinical Psychology at the University of Liverpool)
“…the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, accommodating, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial, and not hypocritical.” James 3:17 (New English Translation)
In light of the above notions counselling is to provide a non-judgemental and supportive environment for interpreting your story and understanding its relation to the world to equip you successfully for their management. This is the simplest formulation of the counselling which I would like to offer for dealing together with whatever challenges you are facing and facilitate environment to empower you to overcome them successfully.
I am a professional and compassionate counsellor with an extensive higher education background in the fields of psychology, counselling and theology. Being a qualified and accredited counsellor with speciality in addictions I offer a variety of services to address the needs of the individual living in a complex and highly demanding world.
I am an accredited counsellor and member of the Federation of Drug and Alcohol Practitioners (FDAP) as well as an accredited member of the Association of Christian Counsellors (ACC) and part of the ACC accredited register audit by the Professional Standards Authority. I am also a member of the Substance Misuse Management Good Practice (SMMGP).Being a member of these professional bodies I follow their code of practice and ethical standards. I fulfil the requirements of these organisations being insured, having regular clinical supervisions and continue in professional development.
I have more than 6 years of experience as a counsellor. Presently I am working as a freelance counsellor, personal coach and trainer (you may want to check my website for further details on the variety of services I offer). I am also a volunteer counsellor at CGL (Change, Grow, Live), Spectrum, Hertfordshire Drug and Alcohol Recovery Services.
I am a published author in the fields of psychology, counselling and theology. I have published several books and articles. Two of my latest books are Defining the New Testament Logia on Divorce and Remarriage in a Pluralistic Context (2009) and Conscience in Recovery from Alcohol Addiction: Exploring the Role of Spirituality in Conscientious Transformation (2013). If you are interested you may read some of the available articles on my website. Presently I am doing Professional Masters with Middlesex University in the field of psychology, psychotherapy, counselling and addictions.
I am an integrative counsellor and as such using compilation of therapeutic methods relevant to the personal needs of the individual providing an environment for enablement and empowerment to achievement of the individual goals and personal growth. I am progressing successfully with a research project for the development of innovative psychotherapeutic model, conscience therapy, to facilitate effective recovery from addictions. The first part of the project is already completed and published. You may read more about it on my website.
It is a challenging world – our place of life where our abilities to cope and manage are tested daily. The diversity of contexts, stressful situations, complex relationships, personal dilemmas and social turbulence constantly take from us our mental and emotional energy with the demands for appropriate responses. The search for consistent peace and balance inwardly and outwardly can be helped through the process of an effective counselling. This is my offer to you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctor of Science (DSc) (Theology)/Summa Cum Laude/. University of Ljubljana. Catholic Faculty of Theology, Ljubljana, Slovenia. (2006)
- Master in Professional Studies – Health (MProf).Psychological, psychotherapeutic and counselling dynamics in exploring treatment development for drug and alcohol support services. Middlesex University, London. This is presently in progress and is to be completed in 2017.
- Master of Science in Addiction Psychology and Counselling (MSc) /Merit/. London South Bank University, London, England. (2012)
- Post-Graduate Research in New Testament Studies. University of Oxford. Faculty of Theology. Oxford Theological Exchange Program, Oxford, England. (2003)
- Master of Arts in Biblical Studies (MA) /Distinction/. University of Leeds & Oxford Centre for Mission Studies. Leeds & Oxford, England. (2001)
- Master of Theology (MTh) /Summa Cum Laude/. Evangelical Theological Seminary. Osijek, Croatia. (1999)
- Bachelor of Theology (BTh) /Summa Cum Laude/. Evangelical Theological Seminary. Osijek, Croatia. (1997)
- Three Year Diploma in Bible and Theology. Sofia Bible Institute. Sofia, Bulgaria. (1995)
- Certificate of Registration. Registered Counsellor Member. The Association of Christian Counsellor (ACC). Professional Standard Authority. September 2016.
- National Counsellor Accreditation Certificate (NCAC). The Federation of Drug & Alcohol Practitioners (FDAP). November 2014.
- Pearson Edexcel Level 5 NVQ Diploma in Management (QCF). Oaklands College. Awarded: May 2014.
CERTIFICATES AND CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- The Science of Nutrition. The Open University. Future Learn. 09/01/17-05/02/17.
- Doctoral Student Development: Short Course in Learning, Teaching and Assessment. Centre for Academic Practice Enhancement. Middlesex University. Awarded on 27/01/17.
- Psychology and Mental Health. University of Liverpool. Future Learn. 6 week course completed on 25/12/16.
- Data Protection and Information Security Awareness. SOVA. CGL. 30/11/16.
- Food as Medicine. Monash University. Future Learn. 24/10/16- 3/11/16.
- Nutrition and Wellbeing. University of Aberdeen. Future Learn. 05/09/16-02/10/16.
- Understanding Anxiety, Depression and CBT. University of Reading. Future Learn. 5 week course completed on 27/08/16.
- First Aid in the Workplace (Managers) Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions. 24/08/16.
- Data Protection Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions. 19/08/16
- Stress Management (Managers) Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions. 16/08/16.
- Health and Wellbeing Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions. 12/08/16.
- Psychologically Informed Environments. Homeless link. 19/07/16.
- Trauma Informed Care (Introduction to complex trauma & trauma informed care). Homeless link. 29/07/16.
- Communication Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions. 27/05/16.
- Mental Health Legislation Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions. 25/05/16.
- Health and Safety for Managers Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions. 20/04/16.
- Understanding Drugs and Addiction. Kings College London. Future Learn. 14/03/16 -17/04/16.
- Drug and Alcohol Awareness. Drug Link. Specialist Substance Misuse Services. 02/03/2016
- Leading a Workplace Coaching Strategy (based on Solution Focused Brief Therapy). Hertfordshire Care Providers Association (HCPA) 12th and 26th January 2016.
- Safeguarding Adults from Abuse - Professional Boundaries. Faiers Training. 20 October 2015.
- Listening Skills and Motivational Interviewing. Recovery Integration Training Education. 24 September 2015.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Fee per one hour (50 min) one-to-one session £50. Initial session is half price (£25).
Fee and time for group counselling session are negotiable.
The counselling location is very close to Watford high street station and has a possibility for parking if required. The facilities provide access for those with mobility issues. Please feel free to contact me to book an appointment or if you have any questions.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Bulgarian, Croatian, Serbian|
I am flexible in regards to appointment days and hours. Please contact me to discuss desirable days and times.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Clinical supervision is an important part of my practice.View supervision profile