Val Smith - MBACP Reg Dip. Couns
Sometimes the stresses and strains of everyday life can be difficult to cope with alone. I recognise that it can be challenging to take that leap and seek the help of a counsellor. I have a strong desire to come alongside clients in order to journey with them as they progress towards a better understanding of their life issues. I am naturally empathic and strive to listen well.
I aim to provide a confidential and supportive space in which clients can explore their issues in a safe environment. I work in an integrative style, which combines Person centred, Psychodynamic and Cognitive Behavioural Therapies (CBT), offering a service which aims to meet the needs of the client. I seek to establish a collaborative relationship in order to focus on your uppermost concerns. Perhaps short-term focus on a particular issue is of interest to you, rather than long-term in-depth therapy – this too is available. I work with many different areas including:
- relationship issues
- self esteem
- eating disorders
I have always held an interest in helping others with life issues and this led me to retraining as a counsellor. I began my journey towards qualification as a counsellor by completing an Introductory course at Quiet Waters Falkirk back in 2007 where I was working as a listener with a UK-wide telephone helpline. I went on to complete my counselling diploma whilst working within the oil industry which has given me an understanding of the strains of working in a fast-paced environment.
I am a member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) and consider confidentiality to be of the utmost importance. Furthermore, I conform to the BACP Code of Ethics and Good Practice. My application for Accreditation is currently with BACP for consideration. I regularly participate in continuing practice development (CPD) in order to keep my skills up-to-date and relevant to my client group.
Skype counselling may be of interest to you if distance is an issue (providing a good computer link is available). Contact me to discuss further.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Vital Connexions, Edinburgh: COSCA validated Diploma in Counselling
- The Centre of Therapy, Glasgow: SCOTACS CBT Toolkit SVQF Level 8
- Quiet Waters, Falkirk: Introduction to CounsellingHope Counselling Aberdeen: Member of Management Team
- Self-Employed Counsellor: Generic Counsellor
- Hope Counselling Aberdeen: Generic Counsellor
- Hope Counselling Aberdeen: Core Management Team member
- Hope Counselling Aberdeen: Student Line Manager
- Mearns Counselling Kincardineshire Community Hospital Stonehaven: NHS Counselling (GP referrals)
- Cairns Counselling Aberdeen: Generic Counsellor
- Quiet Waters Falkirk: Telephone Counsellor offering a listening service to those with life issues
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
£40 per 50 minute face-to-face session
£35 per 50 minute Skype session
£30 per 50 minute telephone session
is within Aberdeen city centre with free parking available.
I hold a current PVG Disclosure Scotland check.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I currently have various slots available throughout the week, please contact me to discuss mutually agreeable times. If I am unavailable, I will call you back.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|