I am an integrative psychotherapist, counsellor and supervisor with nearly thirty years experience in a wide variety of settings. I offer both short term and open ended one-to-one work, supervision and I am also a mindfulness trainer.
I am based in Walterstone between Abergavenny and Hereford and also work through the medium of Skype or via telephone. I am easily accessible from Abergavenny, Hereford, Monmouth, Ross and Gloucester.
I work with stress, anxiety, depression, trauma, abuse, bereavement and loss, issues of sexuality, relationship problems and more.
Counselling/Psychotherapy - How I will work with you
We would start by exploring what has prompted you to come for therapy at this time, and what you hope to gain from therapy. We would then decide together whether short or longer term work may be needed and weekly or twice weekly meetings. We would regularly review our work together and whether you were getting what you needed. Sessions last 50 minutes.
If you/we decided you wanted longer term work or to work in an open-ended way which would allow you to work at your own pace, as well as exploring your current concerns, we would also explore how your past experiences and relationships may be influencing your behavior now- working with the unconscious and using our relationship to inform our exploration.
My counselling/psychotherapy approach is an integration of the person-centred, psychodynamic and psychosynthesis models. I encourage your personal growth through the inclusion of your whole person - the emotional, mental, physical and spiritual (whatever you feel that to be) aspects of yourself.
I am also trained in Solution Focussed Brief Therapy. If you want short term work I can help you to identify a particular area to focus on in the sessions available.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am a BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist and Senior Accredited Supervisor. I have been counselling and supervising for nearly 30 years in various settings including: two drug and alcohol agencies where I worked with children and adults on their own addiction or if they were affected by a family member’s addiction issues; two Further Education, and two Higher Education colleges where I worked with both students and staff; in private practice working both short term and longer term with clients, including twice weekly psychotherapy; as a Staff Counsellor in two NHS hospitals; and currently as the Staff Counselling Manager at Cardiff University where I have worked with a diverse range of staff and supervisees.
- Diploma in Person Centred Counselling 1989
- BSc (Hons) Psychology 1997
- BACP accredited Diploma in Integrative Psychosynthesis 2000
- PG Diploma in Supervision 2006
- MA in Professional Development (Management) 2010-2013
- BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psycotherapist since 2001
- BACP Senior Accredited Supervisor since 2010
- Bangor Teacher Training Retreat One 2016 (trained to teach MBSR courses)
- Currently following the Mindfulness Teacher Training Pathway with Bangor University
- Past Chair BACP Workplace Division
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I run regular introductory sessions, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 8 week courses, one to one MBSR courses, one day silent retreats, mindfulness workshops and monthly drop in practice sessions in Abergavenny and Crickhowell.
The next step:
Making the decision to begin counselling/psychotherapy can be a challenging one, if you want to take the next step, after a brief telephone chat or email conversation we would arrange to meet up and discuss what it is you want and see whether I am the right person to support you at this time. If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to contact me.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronic communication is not failsafe! I will always respond to enquiries within 36 hours during the week, or on a Monday if you contact me over the weekend. If you do not receive a response it's because I haven't received your contact so please do contact me again.
£55 per 50 minute session in Walterstone.
£90 per 90 minute supervision session.
£45 per 60 minute Mindfulness session-or £35 if a current student on an 8 week course with me.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a BACP Senior Accredited Supervisor and have a Post Graduate Diploma in Supervision from Leicester University.View supervision profile