Su Youngs MBACP Registered, BSc Hons, Dip Psych Counselling
1 College Yard
Lower Dagnall Street
Hello and welcome to my profile.
I am a qualified and experienced Counsellor. I work with a range of issues such as: anxiety and depression, substance misuse and addiction, self-harm, relationship and family issues, stress and self-esteem, sexuality and emotional issues, issues with self image.
By talking through any issues you have with another person you think will help, then Counselling is probably a good option for you. If you decide you would like to do this, I am able to provide you with a relaxed and non judgemental space to talk. The setting will be professional and confidential. I am registered with the BACP and abide with their code of ethics. (See details below).
I offer long or short term counselling. The duration of the therapy will depend on what you think you might need based on what you would like to achieve. If you are unsure about what you want from therapy then time can be taken to explore this aspect, which is quite usual, particularly if it is your first experience of counselling.
I can be contacted via email or mobile telephone. If I am unavailable when you ring please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
The initial session is usually up to an hour long and is an opportunity for you to tell me about the issues that are worrying you the most and to get a sense of whether you feel comfortable enough to engage in counselling with me.
You can expect me to listen to what you have to say and to occasionally check out with you my understanding of your problems.
This session is also an opportunity for you to ask me any questions, including what you can expect from counselling and how I may work with you.
If we agree to work together then a further appointment can be made and practical issues of the work can be discussed such as; confidentiality, timing, duration of therapy, cancellations policy etc.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) Registered Membership no. 710381
- EATA (European Association of Transactional Analysis)
- Metanoia Institute
Membership to the above Professional Bodies means I adhere to their ethical and professional principles which underpins my clinical work.
Training and Qualifications (Metanoia Institute, Ealing)
- BSc (Hons) Reflective Therapeutic Practice
- Diploma in Transactional Analysis Counselling
- MSc Psychotherapy in Transactional Analysis - (on going)
- BA (Hons) Transactional Analysis Counselling (3 years formal training)
I have worked in Clinical Practice for 8 years within different therapeutic settings around Hertfordshire and London. The work I carry out is with mixed agenda, race, sexuality and religion. For example:
- Counselling and Psychotherapy Practice, London (short term therapy)
- Drug and Alchol Service, Hertfordshire (short term therapy)
- Women's Centre, Hertfordshire (Long term therapy - current clinical practice)
- Counselling Service, Hertfordshire; ( Long term therapy current clinical practice)
- Private Practice at the St Albans Counselling Foundation and Hitchin Counselling Psychology Centre.
My theoretical approach:
I use Transactional Analysis (TA) as my main theoretical framework; however I integrate TA's humanistic philosophy with its deeper roots in Psychodynamic theory. I am also able to offer a Person Centered and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) approach as a way of further supporting and enhancing my client work.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work related stress
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Group therapy
- Humanistic therapies
Photos & videos
My fee is £45 for a 50-minute individual session.
£55 for Couples
- Free parking in Zone C from 12.30pm onwards (5 minutes walk).
- Pay and display at the bottom of George Street and Romeland.
- NPC Car Park 2 minutes walk away.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Saturday 8am - 10pm (depending on availability)
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|