Susan K Hamilton MBACP - SKH Footprints Counselling and Pawprints A.A.T.
07783 431 938
At times in our lives we can feel as if we are not being heard. Counselling provides a space for you to be really listened to. My name is Susan Hamilton and I am a Person Centred Counsellor. I have experience in working in both the voluntary and private sectors supporting people of all ages and backgrounds facing a wide range of issues. I have a lovely counselling room in the peaceful village of Gilmourton 3 miles from Strathaven. I also offer counselling in Kilmarnock and East Kilbride.
Footprints - Individual Counselling
Life's footprints leave impressions on the person we are. Sometimes it feels as if there is no one we can turn to when we experience difficulties in our life. This can leave us confused, angry, afraid, alone and hopeless. It can mean we feel isolated, anxious, depressed with a lack of confidence and self belief. I will offer you a safe, confidential, non-judgmental space in which you can explore life's challenges.
My clients come from all walks of life but they all have one thing in common. They have all decided they want to talk to someone about feelings and issues that are troubling them.
Pawprints - Counselling with Animal Assisted Therapy
I have two 'Therapy Dogs' called Kim and Bo Bo. Some of my clients like my two dogs to be with them in the room when they come to counselling. Clients tell me that being able to stroke and be with the dogs helps them feel more at ease. That the dogs help to relieve some of the tension and anxiety surrounding therapy. The option to have the dogs in the room would be discussed prior to our first session.
Walk and Talk -
Weather permitting at Gilmourton I offer the option of Walk and Talk Therapy. Some clients find talking outside more relaxing and less stressful. They find the combination of gentle exercise and walking side by side with their therapist in the countryside helps them to move forward both physically and mentally.
I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy and work in accordance with their ethical framework.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post graduate diploma in counselling - University of Strathclyde.
- ASIST suicide intervention training.
- Adults at Risk.
- Animal Assisted Therapy in Counselling
- Respect Me - Bullying it's never Acceptable.
- Child Protection Training, Emotional Abuse and Neglect.
- Children and Young People’s Concerns.
- Domestic Abuse and links to Child Sexual Abuse..
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Photos & videos
Fees are £40 per session and sessions will last an hour. Frequency depends on the individual's needs.
Prior to the first session I offer a free, confidential consultation which lasts approximately 20 minutes. This can be done face to face at Gilmourton or by telephone for East Kilbride and Kilmarnock. This gives us the opportunity to talk to each other with no obligation, discuss what you're looking to gain from counselling and what I offer. You can then decide whether you wish to proceed with a counselling session.
Understanding the PAST
Experiencing the PRESENT
to Realise the FUTURE
Counselling can help you:-
- Feel supported during a difficult time in your life.
- Express and explore your thoughts and feelings.
- Gain insight and understanding.
- Reduce / eliminate troubling symptoms and learn how cope more effectively.
- Feel calmer and more peaceful.
- Learn how to create and enjoy more satisfying, healthier relationships.
- Become more accepting of yourself and others.
- Enhance your self-esteem.
Why a Counsellor?
- It can be difficult to talk to people you are close to about issues which you may feel embarrassed, ashamed or guilty about and which you may wish to keep private.
- It can be difficult for people who are close to you to be detached and impartial.
- A counsellor will offer a safe, non judgemental space in which you can explore your issues.
- Confidentiality is a very important aspect of the counselling relationship.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I see clients during the day at Gilmourton, East Kilbride and Kilmarnock. I can offer evening appointments at Gilmourton.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|