Sophie Thorne, PG Dip, MBACP, Accred.
360b Ditchling Road
The Rock Clinic
270 Eastern Road
I am an experienced counsellor with a warm, empathic and non-judgemental approach, offering affordable long-term and short-term counselling to individuals.
All of us can experience emotional difficulties at some point in our lives. You may feel that you have reached crisis point, or perhaps have a general feeling of being stuck or “on the wrong track”. Perhaps relationships or situations that you could cope with previously now feel hard to manage? Counselling can provide a safe, confidential space in which to talk through problems, gain insight, get general support or focus on more specific concerns such as anxiety, loss or relationship issues.
As a psychodynamic counsellor, I am interested in life experiences and relationships from early in life through to the present day. Sometimes, relational or behavourial patterns in the present can have their roots in early relationships and past experiences, but the connection may not immediately be apparent. Exploring these links within the counselling relationship, can help you to work through confusing and painful emotions, gain insight into yourself and your relationships and move forward in your life. Where it's useful, I will also use a cognitive behavioural approach to challenge unhelpful patterns of thinking or acting.
You may feel unsure about what counselling will involve. Because I understand this and because I believe that a good client/counsellor relationship is the key to working together, I offer a half hour introductory appointment at a cost of only £20; this gives you a chance to see if you feel comfortable with me and my approach to therapy, and I will be happy to answer any questions that you may have. For more details about me and my approach to therapy, please visit my website, www.sophiethornecounselling.com.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training and Qualifications
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling
- Accredited Member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Certificate in Creative Communication with Children & Young People
- Certificate in Foundations of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Qualified counselling supervisor
As an Accredited member of BACP I adhere to their code of Ethics. I am also fully insured, have regular clinical supervision and undertake continuing professional development in order to work with clients to the very best of my abilities.
- I work at the Rock Clinic, a charitable organisation offering affordable therapies to the Brighton community; this work is mainly longer-term counselling. I also work as a counselling supervisor.
- I work in private practice in Brighton & Hove, offering both long and short term counselling and supervision.
- I work at the University of Brighton, providing short-term counselling to students; for several years I worked at the University of Sussex in a similar role.
- I work for a charity providing counselling to women who have experienced domestic abuse.
- I am a registered counselling provider with Aviva and Prudential
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Working with students and young adults
Generalised anxiety disorder and low self esteem
Post natal depression
Family, parenting and relationship issues
- £20 half hour introductory session
- £40 per session
- I can offer some concessionary rates to students or those who would otherwise be unable to afford counselling.
My counselling room is located in the easily accessible area of Fiveways. There is metered parking immediately outside, with free parking a few streets away. There are frequent buses which stop immediately outside.
I also work at the Rock Clinic in the Kemptown area of Brighton, which is easily accessible by car or bus; there is up to 90 minutes free parking in the Lidl carpark opposite the Clinic.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekday daytime and evening availability - please ask me for more details
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am a trained supervisor working in the Brighton area.View supervision profile