Dr Sophie Hughes
The Odiham Health Centre
Deer Park View
Hampshire & Surrey Psychology
I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist experienced in working with individuals with a wide range of mental health difficulties. I have worked in community and inpatient settings for 10 years. I currently work in an NHS community mental health service and with members of the armed forces in an inpatient setting. I also currently work as an Associate Lecturer in psychology at the Open University.
The therapies I use include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). I also draw on Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) and Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) approaches when they might be helpful. Everyone is different and I understand the importance of tailoring therapy to meet the unique needs of each individual.
People come to therapy for lots of different reasons so it is important for me to understand what you would like us to look at together in therapy and what you would like to gain from our sessions. It is also important for you to feel that we can work well together therapeutically and that you have a sense of feeling supported and listened to by me.
Therefore, we might firstly have a short chat on the telephone to see whether a further meeting would be helpful for you. If you think that it would be useful, we can then arrange to meet for an assessment. This longer meeting helps us to see if I am able to offer the support you need and what therapy approach might be a good fit for you.
We might then spend some sessions making sense of your difficulties (coming up with an understanding of what might have led to the distress starting in the first place and what might keep the struggles going) as well as identifying your personal strengths that can be drawn on in therapy to help you on your journey. We will then move towards utilising evidence-based therapeutic approaches to help overcome your struggles and move forward in your life.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist experienced in working with individuals with a wide range of mental health difficulties.
I have worked in community and inpatient settings for 10 years. I currently work in an NHS community mental health service and with members of the armed forces in an inpatient setting. I also currently work as an Associate Lecturer in psychology at the Open University.
Whilst I specialise in working with adults, as a Clinical Psychologist, I am trained to doctorate level in the delivery of a variety of therapeutic approaches with different client groups, including children and adolescents, older adults, people with learning disabilities and adults with physical health problems.
- BSc Psychology, University of the West of England
- MSc Health Psychology, King’s College London
- PG Cert, Evidence Based Psychological Treatment, University of Surrey
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (D.Clin.Psychol), University of Southampton
- Compassion Focused Therapy (Deborah Lee)
Compassion Focused Therapy for group work (Deborah Lee)
Compassion Focused Therapy for trauma (Deborah Lee)
Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing Part 1 (EMDR Works)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (Russ Harris)
- Cognitive Analytic Therapy (Association of Cognitive Analytic Therapy)
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression (The Charlie Waller Institute)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (The Charlie Waller Institute)
- Motivational Interviewing (Camden & Islingston NHS Foundation Trust)
- Stop Smoking Advisor Level 1 training (NHS Camden & Islington Foundation Trust)
- Understanding Military Culture (British Psychological Society)
I am registered as a Practitioner Psychologist with the Health Care Professional Council (HCPC)
I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist (C.Psychol) of The British Psychological Society (BPS) and a member of the Division of Clinical Psychology (DCP)
I am an accredited clinician and member of the British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
For information about fees, please visit the website listed at the top of this profile
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Appointments are available with Hampshire & Surrey Psychology associates during week days, evenings and weekends.
Types of client