Dr Simon Chesney BSc., DClinPsy., CPsychol
NHS Chartered Consultant Clinical Psychologist and certified schema therapist specializing in working with people who experience a wide variety of complex and chronic adult mental health difficulties. My particular skill is in ascertaining, after consulting with an individual, the most suitable psychological treatment approach for an individuals needs and personality style. As an applied psychologist I have the training and ability to draw upon a very wide range of psychological principles and knowledge bases which may be helpful in resolving the problems described.
SERVICES HARTFORD CHESHIRE (FRIDAYS ONLY)
1. CHARTERED CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST CONSULTATIONS & ASSESSMENTS (£95)
- Individual private referrals (not currently taking referrals from solicitors or agencies)
2. PSYCHOLOGICAL THERAPY
- CBT, Schema Therapy, Systemic and Behavioural Psychotherapy approaches to help people cope and recover from anxiety/stress, depression, PTSD, interpersonal difficulties
- Individual, couple or family work
- Working with mild to moderate complexity & risk
3. TAILOR MADE TRAINING DAYS
- Contact me to discuss your requirements for a specific modified training or team development day
- Suitable for any team or system wanting advice on utilising applied psychology
4. GATHERING EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FROM PEOPLE FOR NEW 'MINDFULNESS BASED SCHEMA GROUP THERAPY' (2017).
Please contact me if you are interested in learning more/ joining this group. If I gather enough names to run the group in 2017 I will.
5. PROFESSIONAL SUPERVISION
- For private practice or NHS psychologists or psychological therapists ·
- Offering Schema Therapy or CBT approaches to supervision
Training, qualifications & experience
Academic & Professional Qualifications
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, Canterbury Christ Church University (Salomons Center for Applied Psychology)
- First Class Hons Psychology (BSc), Brunel University London
- Registered Practitioner Psychologist (Clinical), Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Chartered Member of The British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Accredited Schema Therapist, International Society of Schema Therapy (ISST)
- Qualified Systemic Practitioner, Association for Family Therapy & SystemicPractice (AFT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, British Isles Intensive DBT Training
- Clinical Psychology Supervisor Course, Surrey University & Liverpool University
- Consultant Clinical Psychologist, North-West NHS Mental Health Trust (2012 - present day)
- Honorary Lecturer Clinical Psychology, Liverpool University, Doctoral Clinical Psychology Training Programme (2009 - present day)
- Principal Clinical Psychologist, Enhanced Day Therapies Service, North-West NHS Mental Health Trust (2008-2012).
- Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist, CMHT, North-West NHS Mental Health Trust (2005-2008)
- Specialist Clinical Psychologist, CMHT, London NHS Mental Health Trust (2004-5)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Faith related issues, Christianity and mental health.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- £95 per hour for consultation and individual therapy. For patients with genuine limited financial means wanting on-going therapy I can negotiate reduced fees.
- Reduced rate for block bookings, group attendance and regular professional supervision.
- Training days (on request)
Location and Accessibility
- Location of rooms in Winnington, Hartford. Community location, easy to find, close to local shops and amenities.
- Free parking in front of building and good accessibility for those with disabilities (ground floor rooms).
- Young, Chesney, Sperlinger et al, (2009). A qualitative study exploring the life course experiences of young offenders with symptoms of ADHD detained in a residential care setting. Criminal Behaviour & Mental Health, 19 (1) 54-63. John-Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Wainwright, Bender, Chesney and Tachon (2005). The need for clinical psychology to be available to people with Parkinson's. Clinical Psychology 46- Feb 2005. British Psychological Society.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
9.30 - 2.45 Fridays, Hartford & Winnington, Cheshire.
Types of client