Sharon Nicholson, MBACP Registered and Accredited Therapeutic Counsellor
'There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you' - Maya Angelou
Hi I'm Sharon
I am a Senior Therapeutic Counsellor and I have run a successful and discreet private practice in Weymouth, Dorset for more than 10 years.
I professionally trained in London and the South West and as a result, I am able to work in an integrative way using the most appropriate models of therapy to suit individual needs.
I hold accreditation status with the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy) and with the Professional Standards Authority Register - no. 019950
Alongside working in private practice, I am a High Intensity Senior Counsellor specialising in Counselling for Depression (CfD) within the NHS.
This is a therapy that is recognised by the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE)
CfD works with intrapersonal processes, such as low self-esteem and excessive self-criticism, which often maintain depressed mood. It aims to help you make sense of underlying feelings and reflect on the new meanings which may emerge.
I also supervise other counsellors within the NHS.
I use Mindfulness and Compassion-Focussed therapy to help you to resource yourself and build resilience.
Previous to my full-time career as a counsellor, I held a lead position in The Dorset Youth & Community Service. I designed, managed and facilitated a county-wide 1:1 mentoring and coaching provision for 18-24 yr. olds and a personal and social development project for young people in further education - Children's Services, Dorset County Council (2005-2010)
I have also facilitated 'Pattern Changing' courses for women who have experienced Domestic Abuse and I volunteered as a counsellor in Women's Refuge for 5 years.
How can I help you?
I offer a free telephone consultation for us to decide if my way of working may suit you and then my sessions are all held face-to-face in my private, dedicated counselling room.
We are all human and struggle at times and there is no shame in asking for help.
Some of the many issues I have helped people with are; Depression, anxiety, bereavement, relationship difficulties, anger, long-term health issues, stress, feelings of guilt or shame, abuse, domestic abuse, trauma, redundancy, low self-esteem and coping with change…
If you feel lost or conflicted and that life is getting on top of you, taking some time out to talk to a counsellor could help you to find some breathing space, clarity and improved emotional and physical well-being.
We all learn ways to manage difficult emotions and whilst these may help us to cope in the short-term, they may not always serve us well long-term. It is usually what we think and feel about ourselves that is most destructive for us. Counselling can help you to recognise and make sense of patterns of behaviours and relationships that you maybe unconsciously repeating in your life.
Some of the positive changes that my clients have benefitted from include;
- Better understanding and self awareness
- Greater clarity and a sense of feeling 'back in control' of ones life
- Decreased feelings of anxiety, shame, guilt and insecurity
- Increased trust in oneself
- Increased sense of calm
- Improved relationships
- A sense of healing and giving oneself 'permission' to live life more freely.
- I offer effective therapeutic counselling ranging from a short, solution-focussed piece of work to longer term psychotherapy, dependent upon your needs.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have over 10 years experience as a qualified therapist in the public, private and voluntary sectors.
I am fully insured and committed to my own professional and personal growth so I undertake Continuing Professional Development (CPD) training courses each year.
- I am BACP Registered and Accredited (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
- Counselling for Depression (CfD) (2015) - Metanoia Institute, London. NICE approved therapy
- Post Qualifying Diploma in Counselling Children and Adolescents (2009) - Iron Mill Institute, Exeter
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (2006) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Studies (2004) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Skills (2003) - Weymouth
Alongside my established Private Practice, my counselling work has included;
- Counselling in NHS Primary Care (High Intensity, Senior Counsellor)
- Specialist Counselling for Depression (CfD)
- Local Business / Carers support agencies & organisations
- RUSS (Trauma - Road User Support Service)
- Further Education (Senior Counsellor) Weymouth College, Budmouth College
- Higher Education Bournemouth University
- Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP’s)
- Women’s Refuge - Domestic Abuse
- Please see my website www.sharon-nicholson.com for further information and client testimonials
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Sometimes it can be difficult to name exactly what is troubling us.
You may feel stuck and unable to move forwards, lost, confused, sad, helpless or a sense of internal turmoil or conflict.
Whatever your feelings, talking them through with a trained counsellor in a place where you will not be judged can prove to be a very positive and life changing experience.
- I offer a free initial telephone consultation
- Sessions cost £40 per hour
- Concessions- I do have a limited number of reduced fee sessions available for those on a very low income
All sessions last for a full 60 minutes.
Initial Session - During our initial consultation we can explore what is currently happening for you, what you hope to gain from sessions and then decide together if I am the right person to support you.
Most clients attend sessions weekly in order for counselling to be most effective.
There is free parking available.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday, Tuesday, Friday - Daytime and evening appointments offered depending upon availability.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|