Sharon Nicholson, MBACP Registered and Accredited Therapeutic Counsellor
'There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you' - Maya Angelou
I appreciate that it can take courage to come and share your story so my aim is to make the process as rewarding as possible for you.
Hello, my name is Sharon
I am a senior Therapeutic Counsellor, specialising in counselling for depression (CfD), and since qualifying in 2006, I have run a successful and discreet private practice in both Weymouth and Dorchester, Dorset.
I professionally trained in London and the South West, and as a result, I work in an integrative way, using the most appropriate models of therapy to suit each individual's needs.
I hold accreditation status with the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy) and with the Professional Standards Authority Register - no. 019950
- 'BACP Accreditation is a widely-valued quality status for practitioners designed to recognise the achievement of high standards of knowledge, experience and development'.
In 2010 I took a leap of faith and followed my heart to pursue my counselling career full time. I feel very privileged to be doing the work that I have a passion for and I enjoy sharing my learning with those who are open to making a positive difference to their lives.
I not only work with the difficulties and struggles that bring you into counselling, but also your hopes and dreams; Self-belief must be nurtured if we are to create a better life for ourselves.
My comfortable, dedicated counselling room has been described by my clients as 'welcoming' and 'calm' and is a space where you can come to explore your thoughts, feelings and experiences in confidence and without judgement.
Alongside my private practice, I am a High Intensity Senior Counsellor specialising in Counselling for Depression (CfD) within the NHS. This is a therapy that is recognised by the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) - my clinics are held in Weymouth & Portland, West Dorset Locality.
I also supervise other counsellors within the NHS.
Previous to my career as a counsellor, I held a lead position in The Dorset Youth & Community Service. I designed, managed and facilitated a county-wide 1:1 mentoring and coaching provision for 18-24 yr. olds and a personal and social development project for young people in further education - Children's Services, Dorset County Council (2005-2010)
I have also facilitated 'Pattern Changing' courses for women who have experienced Domestic Abuse and I volunteered as a counsellor in Women's Refuge for 5 years.
How can I help you?
You may feel inhibited by a lack of confidence, have a relationship difficulty, feel depressed or anxious after experiencing a difficult life event such as a bereavement, illness, separation, retirement, redundancy or trauma.
We are all human and struggle at times, there is no shame in asking for help.
If you feel conflicted and that life is getting on top of you, taking some time out to talk to a counsellor could help you to find some breathing space, clarity and improved emotional and physical well-being.
My Person Centred core practice enables me to use a therapeutic approach that I have found to be particularly effective in alleviating personal distress.
It is usually what we think and feel about ourselves that is most destructive for us. Exploring what maybe unconsciously internalised from our experiences can be a liberating process.
We all learn ways to manage difficult emotions and whilst these may help us to cope in the short-term, they may not always serve us well long-term.
Counselling can help you to recognise and make sense of patterns of behaviours and relationships that you maybe unconsciously repeating in your life.
Expressing how you feel about yourself and your experiences in a safe and non-judgemental environment can be an empowering and life-changing process
Some of the positive changes that my clients have benefitted from include;
- Better understanding and self awareness
- Greater clarity and a sense of feeling 'back in control' of ones life
- Decreased feelings of anxiety, shame, guilt and insecurity
- Increased trust in oneself
- Increased sense of calm
- Improved relationships
- A sense of healing and giving oneself 'permission' to live life more freely.
- I offer effective therapeutic counselling ranging from a short, solution-focussed piece of work to longer term psychotherapy, dependent upon your needs.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have over 10 years experience as a qualified therapist in the public, private and voluntary sectors.
I have worked extensively with issues of Depression, Bereavement, Loss, Grief, Anxiety, Anger, Trauma, Low Self Esteem, Shame, Guilt, Relationship issues, Childhood issues, Long term health conditions, Abuse and Work related stress.
- I am BACP Registered and Accredited (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
- Counselling for Depression (CfD) (2015) - Metanoia Institute, London. NICE approved therapy
- Post Qualifying Diploma in Counselling Children and Adolescents (2009) - Iron Mill Institute, Exeter
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (2006) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Studies (2004) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Skills (2003) - Weymouth
Alongside my established Private Practice, my work has included;
- Counselling in NHS Primary Care (High Intensity, Senior Counsellor)
- Specialist Counselling for Depression (CfD)
- RUSS (Trauma - Road User Support Service)
- Further Education (Senior Counsellor) Weymouth College, Budmouth College
- Higher Education Bournemouth University
- Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP’s)
- Women’s Refuge - Domestic Abuse
- Please see my website www.sharon-nicholson.com for further information and client testimonials
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Sometimes it can be difficult to name exactly what is troubling us. You may feel stuck and unable to move forwards, lost, confused, helpless or a sense of internal turmoil or conflict.
Whatever your feelings, talking them through with a trained counsellor in a place where you will not be judged can prove to be a very positive and life changing experience.
- I offer a free initial telephone consultation
- Sessions cost £40 per hour
- Concessions- I do have a limited number of reduced fee sessions available for those on a very low income
All sessions last for a full 60 minutes.
Initial Session - During our initial consultation we can explore what is currently happening for you, what you hope to gain from sessions and then decide together if I am the right person to support you.
Most clients attend sessions weekly in order for counselling to be most effective.
There is free parking available.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday, Tuesday, Friday - Daytime and evening appointments offered depending upon availability.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|