Dr Sebastian Eisenberg, Practitioner Psychologist
24 Regent Street
Are you finding it difficult to cope? You feel lost, overwhelmed or stuck?
It may feel daunting to know where to turn for help in times of distress. I can provide you with a safe and confidential space to support you through such times.
I offer professional psychological help for emotional, relational and behavioural difficulties including health-related concerns such as pain, weight, acute or long-term conditions. Depending on your needs and goals, I offer short-term psychological counselling and therapy (8 to 16 sessions) as well as longer-term psychotherapy. Skype or phone can also be a good option for some people. I work in English and German.
I am a Counselling Psychologist chartered by the BPS and registered with the HCPC. I work in private practice and in the NHS.
My therapeutic approach is integrative, relational and client-centred. As a counselling psychologist I am trained in complementary psychological approaches: humanistic/existential, cognitive-behavioural (CBT), mindfulness (CFT/ACT/MCT) and psychodynamic. I am, therefore, able to apply and integrate them tailored to your needs and goals.
I have special interest and experience in Health Psycholgy. I am trained and experienced in supporting people in making health-related changes (e.g. weight, smoking) or better adjusting and coping with disabilities, long-term conditions or life-threatening illness such as sight loss, chronic pain, cancer, renal failure and HIV.
I aim to provide a sensitive, non-judgemental and confidential space based on trust and respect, so that we can explore what troubles and what matters. I am committed to working together with you to help you gain more awareness and understanding, cope better and get unstuck in order to find your way forward towards more wellbeing and a more fulfilling life.
Holistic Compassionate Care
I work holistically considering body, mind, culture, heart and soul. I believe, that there is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach to psychological help. Experience and research shows that people are more likely to grow in a genuinely accepting, empathic and trusting therapeutic relationship.
I aim to understand my clients’ experiences as a fellow human being with patience and in a non-judgemental way. Based on your goals and hopes, we work together on finding a way forward, making meaningful changes as well as developing acceptance and compassion for what cannot be changed.
The therapeutic work aims...
- to build a trusting, nurturing and encouraging therapeutic relationship
- to increase understanding and awareness
- to connect with your longings, desires and needs
- to let go of being trapped in old unhelpful stories, viscious cycles or exhausting battles
- to better negotiate life’s challenges, paradoxes, limitations and imperfections
- to live a meaningful and purposeful life
I practice in 3 locations in Bristol: Clifton Village, Cotham and Westbury-on-Trym.
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications and Training
- Practitioner Doctorate (PsychD) in Psychotherapeutic and Counselling Psychology, University of Surrey, 2012-2015
- Masters (MSc) in Health Psychology, City University London, 2008-2010
- Certificate in Counselling and Psychotherapy, Westminster Pastoral Foundation, 2008
- Graduate Diploma in Psychology, London Metropolitan University, 2006-2007
- Certificate in Rehabilitation Work, University of Central England, 2005-2006
- Practitioner Psychologist/Counselling Psychologist registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) No: PYL32761
- Chartered Counselling Psychologist with the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Full member of the BPS Division of Counselling Psychology
I have worked for voluntary organisations (disability, HIV) since 2008 and for the NHS since 2010 in clinical settings such as primary care services (GP surgeries, smoking cessation), secondary care (community mental health, personality disorder, complex care, psychosis) and clinical health psychology (cancer, pain, weight management, renal/liver).
I have experience in working with adults into older age presenting with the whole range of psychological difficulties from mild to severe - including depression, anxiety, stress, pain, trauma, loss, relationship issues and adjustment to illness, life transitions and disability, to name a few.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Distress tolerance
- Overeating and obesity
- Health, disability and illness
- Existential issues, death, meaning, belonging
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Photos & videos
The first phone consultation is free.
The first meeting is at £40.
Further sessions cost £50 to £70 depending on the contracted number of sessions. I offer a limited number of places at concessionary rates.
I offer a free intial phone consultation (typically 10-15 minutes) to hear what you come for and to discuss how therapy could be useful for you. If we both agree, we arrange to meet for an assessment, in which we get a better understanding of the area of difficulty you want to address and you can get to know how I work and ask questions. If we both feel we can work together, then we discuss therapy options: short or longer-term, focused or explorative, where and when. During our work we have regular reviews to check how things are going.
- I adhere to the code of practice and ethics of the British Psychological Society and Health Care Professional Council
- I hold full professional indemnity insurance
- I have an enhanced CRB check.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays 9-21, Tuesdays 15-21, Wednesdays 9-18, Saturdays 9-13
Types of client