Sandra A Weir, BA (Hons), PGDip, Registered MBACP Counsellor
The York Clinic
296 Tadcaster Road
01904 709688 / 07704 172760
The Main Areas I work in
Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Workplace Stress and Bereavement.
The Way I Work
As an intersubjective counsellor, I believe the key to successful counselling is a co-creation of the therapeutic relationship between counsellor and client. I work relationally.
Our work together will progress through three stages:
Initial Stage: This involves building the counselling relationship through discussing the following issues:
- An assessment of your reasons for coming to counselling and what you would like to gain from it
- An introduction to what the counselling relationship would entail
- Discussion and agreement about how we could work together
Your Counselling Journey: Therapy sessions take place at York Clinic in a private counselling room, which offers a quiet, comfortable and confidential environment, where we can work together in a way that you feel understood and respected.
Our ongoing discussions will continue to deepen our counselling relationship. We will summarise at the end of each session to ensure that your counselling requirements are being met.
Final Stage: As counselling progresses we will agree to draw the sessions to a satisfactory close and discuss a series of counselling tools that may help you in the future.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BACP registered and BACP Certificate of Proficiency in Counselling
- I work within the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling professions
- University of Leeds qualified to Postgraduate Diploma in Psychotherapy and Counselling
- BA (Hons) University of York
- Diplomas in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Mindfulness
- Relational Counsellor (specialising in Intersubjectivity and Attachment Theory)
- Committed to Continuing Professional Development
Current Counselling Roles:
- I am the Counsellor at Selby College, where I counsel young adults in further and higher education and also members of staff.
- I have a private counselling practice at York Clinic, specialising in:
1. Depression, anxiety or just struggling with daily life and relationships
2. Stress, bullying and excessive workloads in the workplace, including coping strategies
3. Counselling Students 18+ in a wide range of areas
- I work for EAPs (Employee Assistance Programmes) looking particularly at work place stress
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Eating disorders
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Fees are £50 per hourly session, payable in cash at the time of the session
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Afternoon and early evening appointments are now available on Mondays at York Clinic. Appointments at other times are available on request. Please email to enquire.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|