Rory Mescall Reg. MBACP, Dip.Counselling, MA (Cantab)
Not that counselling is about me, it’s about you, the client. If you’re feeling overwhelmed and struggling to cope with pressures of the present, memories of the past and fears for the future, you can become anxious, low in mood, lacking confidence, angry and despondent. You’re in acute need of support but often can’t turn to friends or family because they’re either part of the problem or have some agenda of their own.
I’m Rory and, as a qualified BACP registered counsellor, I can offer you the opportunity to talk about and explore your issues and fears in a safe, empathic, non-judgemental and confidential setting.
As an integrative counsellor, I adapt and incorporate various evidence based techniques used in a range of counselling models and approaches to address the various aspects of your difficulties. For example, I may at some point use very similar techniques to a CBT therapist when working with anxiety.
By building a collaborative relationship, we can focus on your experiences and build on your own resources to enable the setting of mutually agreed goals. Our overall objective would be for you to achieve greater levels of self-acceptance and personal growth. I do believe that every individual has the capacity to make changes in order to better their lives and that counselling can be instrumental in identifying the means to do so
Personal and family experiences convinced me of the value and importance of counselling in enabling people to make positive life changes and this inspired me to follow the path of counsellor training. I feel my previous 40 years of working alongside a diverse range of people in industry, commerce, education and community organisations all inform and enrich my practice as a counsellor.
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained as an integrative counsellor and, as a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy working towards full accreditation, I adhere to their Ethical Framework and Professional Guidelines in all aspects of my professional practice.
- ABC L4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- BACP Certificate of Proficiency
- ABC Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills
- MA (Cantab) Natural Sciences
- Edexcel L3 Diploma in Health and Social Care
- Both during and after my core training (in accordance with BACP expectations regarding continuing professional development), I have attended and continue to attend further training and workshops on a variety of topics and approaches. To date, these have included:-
- Working with Couples
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- CBT for Eating Disorders
- Counselling Bereavement and Loss
- Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse
- Exploring Gender & Gender Diversity
- Working with Addictions
- Essential Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) Skills
- Attachment Theory into the Future
- Introduction to Psychosexual Therapy
- The Importance of Feedback Informed Therapy (FIT)
- Counselling Suicidal Clients
- Creative Approaches to Counselling
In addition to private practice, I work as a volunteer counsellor for Mind TOG (Tameside, Oldham & Glossop), where I also deliver courses on subjects such as Anger Management and Coping with Stress & Anxiety to members of the public accessing services at Mind. I have previously worked as a volunteer counsellor at SignPost for Carers in Stockport, providing counselling for adult carers.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
Photos & videos
I offer an initial 30 - 40 minute session as a means of mutual introduction which is free of charge. Thereafter, 50 minute sessions are charged at the rate of £40 for individuals or £50 for couples, payable in cash or by BACS prior to the session.
Advance payment for a block of 6 sessions qualifies for a discount of 15%, i.e. £204 rather than £240 for individuals or £255 for couples (Please note - 6 session booking allows no refunds for cancellation and all sessions are to be taken within 3 months after the initial session)
My therapy sessions are held in the Archways Private Medical & Health Clinic, Romiley, Stockport which is within easy reach of all areas of Stockport, Tameside and the High Peak. The clinic is readily accessed by public transport and has conveniently close car parking.
Believing that the effectiveness of the counselling process can only be properly judged by the client, I subscribe to the principles of Feedback Informed Therapy (FIT) to monitor clients’ opinions and level of satisfaction on a session by session basis.
I hold a current DBS Enhanced Certificate and full Professional Civil Liability Insurance.
I am registered with the ICO ( Information Commissioner's Office) and authorised to hold certain sensitive personal information under appropriately secure storage.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||French (limited)|
Wednesday & Friday 10am to 7pm, Thursday & Saturday 10am - 4pm
Types of client