Richard Potts : UKCP (Accred.), Dip. Counselling and Psychotherapy CCPE
Would you like to begin to unlock the real you? Or do you just need some help with some of life's challenges?
I am a Counsellor and Psychotherapist in central Reading, Berkshire and Wallingford, Oxfordshire and feel the hope offered by the quote from Hāfez best sums up how I work:
"I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being." Hāfez
I work with individuals on an open-ended basis or for an agreed time period, with the aim of enabling you to enhance your life, realise your True Self and to live it more fully.
I have developed experience in supporting clients facing:
- Relationship issues
- Low self-esteem
- Coping with illness (especially cancer)
- Younger people (18 to 25)
- Personal growth and development
- Body / self-image and eating disorders
About me and how I work
Helping others has always been a powerful motivation and, following my own life experience, I became a counsellor and psychotherapist as a meaningful and effective way to support individuals.
Having trained as an Integrative, Transpersonal Psychotherapist I have experience in various approaches including:
- CBT, NLP and other cognitive approaches
- Person-centred (Rogerian)
Having experience in many areas helps tailor sessions and an approach to you rather than having to fit to a rigid method - and also means there are varied tools in the cupboard we can try as appropriate.
Training, qualifications & experience
UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
8 years as a Psychotherapist and Counsellor in private practice and the charity sectoy
Established and developed cancer support programmes for families, children and men for the Olive Tree Cancer Support, Crawley.
- Diploma in Integrative, Transpersonal Counselling and Psychotherapy 4 year Diploma at the Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Education (CCPE), London.
- Foundation Course in Counselling and Psychotherapy 1 year course also at CCPE.
- Psychiatric Placement at Liverpool Mersey Care NHS Trust, Community Mental Health Team.
- Psychiatric DSM IV study modules
- Various Continuing Professional Development courses, particularly focussing on cancer patients and younger people.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Bulimia nervosa
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Gestalt therapy
Sessions are £50 although I do also offer some low-cost sessions
How do I know whether this is right for me?
Whatever you are bringing, we can discuss things as you wish at a pace that is right for you. I really appreciate taking that first step is a big one and the most important aspect is you feel comfortable in the work and we allow things to unfold from there.
What does it cost?
I currently offer sessions at £50 and try not to change costs if possible during our course of sessions.
I also have a few low cost sessions reserved. We can discuss options if you feel this is needed for you (often if you either have a low or no wage at the moment).
How long will psychotherapy or counselling last?
Sessions normally last for 50 mins once a week. There is no commitment to continue for a certain number of sessions with the number of sessions depending only on you. Whether short term or long term, counselling is driven by your needs and goals and what you wish to address. In general, personal development or deeper issues can take longer than single concerns, however we can agree together goals and aims at the outset and reassess things as we progress.
When are you available?
I have some day and evening appointments available on weekdays. Please contact me to arrange an initial appointment when we can then agree a regular session time.
Are you regulated?
I am have liability insurance and adhere to the UKCP and BACP guidelines.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
07:30 - 21:00 Mon - Fri
Types of client