Rhea Hughes MBACP Reg. Counsellor
The Practice Rooms
26 Upper Borough Walls
07751 777 701
I aim to offer a safe, non-judgemental and confidential space where we can work together in understanding the nature of your difficulties. I have experience working with anxiety, depression, low self esteem, self harm, loss, and life transitions amongst other issues. I have enjoyed working with many students studying in Bath as well as employees going through a difficult time. I draw on a variety of approaches to inform our work, depending on what feels most appropriate for you
I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and abide by their code of ethics.
How does counselling work?
Counselling may help you to find new ways of coping or moving forwards as well as new ways of looking at things. It can help you to understand more fully why you feel as you do.
To be flexible to your needs I offer both short term counselling as well as longer term or ongoing counselling and we can discuss what would be beneficial for you in our first meeting.
I understand it is important to find the right person to work with and so the initial appointment is an opportunity to see if we are well suited to work together and look at how counselling can support you. The first appointment is one hour long and subsequent sessions are 50 minutes long and are on a regular day and time each week. Please contact me via email or phone to arrange a first appointment or to ask any questions that you might have.
I have daytime & evening appointments and am based in the centre of Bath. I have some low cost spaces - please enquire.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a level 6 Diploma in Professional Studies: Counselling, through the University of the West of England, which is a BACP accredited training. I have a certificate in Transactional Analysis (TA101 qualification). Prior to this I studied at the University of Warwick for 1 year in Person-centred counselling. I also have an introduction to counselling skills certificate from Wiltshire College.
- I have worked in Private Practice with issues of anxiety, depression, self harm, suicidal feelings, work related issues, low self esteem, loss and panic. I work a lot with Students who are at University and struggling with issues being compounded by additional workload/deadline/exam pressures, as well as the difficulties of adjusting to living away from home and adapting to living in a new environment. It can be a time of immense change and transition.
- I support people through the BUPA Employee Assistance Programme with issues relevant to or that are impacting on their work. If your employer has this programme with BUPA and you are eligible you are able to request to see me as your counsellor if you wish: www.bupa.co.uk/business/business-employee-assistance
- Before working in private practice I worked as a counsellor for students at Bath College - I worked with young adults particularly around issues of anxiety, loss, life tranitions and decisions.
- Prior to this I worked with people with a variety of concerns, particularly low self esteem, anxiety, grief and loss, relationship difficulties and depression at Help Counselling Services.
- I also worked at the Swan Project where I gained training and experience working long term with people with alcohol dependency alongside other issues.
- Having a background in social care I also have insight into the impact of disability and health conditions.
I also participate in Continued Professional Development (CPD):
Understanding Sexual Violence
Understanding Domestic Violence
Child Sexual Abuse Training
Models and theories for working with alcohol dependency
Suicide Intervention Skills Training
Short term counselling
Working with Diverse Cultures
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Photos & videos
Sessions are £40. I do offer some low cost spaces / concessions, please enquire.
I am a Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP) and abide by their code of ethics. I am fully insured and participate in ongoing professional development.
If you have any requirements to make my service accessible to you please contact me and I will do my best to meet your needs or refer you to someone who can. Some low cost spaces available, please enquire.
You can also see my website for more information. Feel free to contact me to arrange an initial appointment or to ask any questions that you may have.
I am based in the Centre of Bath on Upper Borough Walls, opposite Sam Wellers pub and next door to Ladbrokes betting shop. I am about 10 minutes walk from Bath Spa train station and bus station. The nearest car park is Waitrose Car park, about 5 minutes away. Great Pultney Street has pay and display parking and is about a 5 minute walk. After 7pm you may be able to find free on street parking around the town centre.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||I have level 1 British Sign Language|
Daytime and Evenings
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|