Imi Lo: Psychotherapist, Art Therapist, Supervisor (MMH,UKCP,HCPC,MBPsS)
07507 270045 / 07507 270045
I am an accredited Clinical Psychotherapist (UKCP), Art Therapist (HCPC, BAAT), Supervisor and Trainer. I am also a qualified Mentalisation-based therapist, a fully-trained EMDR therapist, a holistic yoga teacher, mindfulness teacher, and a Hypno-psychotherapist.
I have dedicated my entire professional life to working with emotionally sensitive and intense people on the following issues:
- Extreme and unpredictable mood swings
- Sensitivity to criticism and rejection, over-reacting to certain situations
- Being drawn to the same type of partner/ relationship over and over, even when your emotional needs are not met
- Being isolated and feeling alienated by others
- Getting stuck in patterns of impulsive and self- sabotaging behaviours
- Struggling to say no, feeling guilty even when you have done nothing wrong
- Feeling numb and empty for most of the time, except when the emotions 'explode'
- Chronic anxiety and restlessness
- Suicidal thoughts
- Creativity blockages
I specialise in working with issues related to the experience of feeling and living intensely, especially the pain of being told – spoken and unspoken – that you are ‘too much’—‘too intense’, ‘too sensitive’, ‘too emotional’.
My work is grounded in theories and research in the areas of ‘highly sensitive people’ (HSP), sensory processing sensitivity, ‘over-excitabilities’ in gifted individuals, emotional intelligence and emotion regulation.
I am an award- winning mental health professional, my expertise in Personality Disorders and Complex Trauma is grounded in more than 10 years of clinical experience, within various settings from NHS Specialist Teams to the Samaritans Suicide Crisis Intervention Centre. In addition to the Master in Mental Health from the School of Medicine, University of Queensland, I hold a Postgraduate degree in Psychology, a Bachelor of Social Work (Hons), and an Advanced Diploma in Contemporary Psychotherapy. I started my career as a mental health Social Worker, and later qualified as a Clinical Psychotherapist, Art Therapist, Suicide Counsellor, and a Mindfulness Teacher.
My aspiration to specialise first emerged in 2006, when I witnessed people who are unable to manage their emotions being misunderstood, marginalised, or described as having ‘personality defects’. Hearing pejorative labels such as ‘manipulative’ or ‘attention seeking’, and seeing people who do not fit neatly into diagnostic criteria slip through the cracks of the mental health system deeply frustrate me. I believe these problems can and should be overcome with knowledge and awareness.
Having worked with many gifted and emotionally intense individuals, conducted research and written about this topic, I have now accumulated a body of knowledge and ways of working that can most effectively benefit emotionally intense people and those around them.
Later in my career, I decided to leave my job as an NHS Psychotherapist to focus on Eggshell Therapy, a practice that is dedicated to working with emotionally intense people. This has allowed me to work in a holistic, creative and authentic way. Since its opening, we have attracted a steady stream of clients from all around UK and the world. I feel fortunate to be sitting alongside many creative and intelligent individuals, helping them to liberate from low esteem and loneliness in order to live full and authentic lives.
I am trained in evidence-based methods including Mentalisation- based Treatment (MBT), Schema Therapy, Art Psychotherapy, Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR), Mindfulness- based therapies (MBSR, MBCT). Instead of taking suggestions straight from these therapy models, I weed out the jargons and or overly complicated elements, to include only what I know to be effective and resonate best with each person.
I value clarity and openness and am a great believer in sharing knowledge with you, as well as actively engaging with your existential and day-to-day questions.
I look forward to being with you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology and Psychotherapy (Ongoing)
- Master in Mental Health (School of Medicine, University of Queensland)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology (MBPsS, Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership)
- Certificate in Psychotherapy Clinical Supervision
- Advanced Diploma in Contemporary Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- BSc. in Social Work (Hons)
- Accredited Practitioner: Mentalisation-based Treatment (Advanced) for Borderline Personality Disorder
- Anna Freud Centre, University College London (UCL)
- Schema- Therapy Training for Personality Disorders
- Training approved by the International Society of Schema Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) for Trauma
- Fully trained by accredited trainings approved by EMDR International Association (EMDRIA) and EMDR-Europe Association (EMDR-E)
- Mentalisation-based Art Therapy
- Neuro- linguistic Programming (NLP) Master Practitioner
- Contemporary Hypno-psychotherapy
Teaching and Speaking Engagement
I am currently a Faculty member of the Beeleaf Institute of Contemporary Psychotherapy, an accrediting authority of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) . I deliver lectures and workshops regularly for trainee therapists seeking accreditation. I also supervise therapists in training as a clinical supervisor and mentor. With students’ consent, the following are testimonials for the workshops I delivered in 2015:
Imi has an incredible wealth of knowledge and talent in her subject areas and she shared it with us in a totally accessible way that felt inclusive & respectful at all times. Her humility compassion & warmth blended with her expertise and professionalism throughout. It was a thoroughly enjoyable & informative learning experience...
— Lesley C., Lead family support worker at London Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
Insightful, brilliantly delivered, flowing with compassion and understanding, giving us time to digest this complex area of therapy. Thank you so much Imi.
— Ed Luttrll, Director & Principal Coach at BlueTouchPaper Consulting
I was being interviewed as an expert as featured in UK publications including The Telegraph (Feb 2015) and Marie Claire (Feb 2016) , as an expert on the subjects of Borderline Personality, emotional intensity and sensitivity. In the past, I have been interviewed and featured in the local newspapers and radio stations in Australia.
- Psychotherapist – Personality Disorder Specialist Team, NHS
- Trainer and Module Leader - Beeleaf Institute of Contemporary Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- Non-Executive Director- Emergence Plus
- Clinical Practitioner, Care Coordinator- Personality Disorder Community Team, NHS
- Founder of Eggshell Collective, London BPD Sharing Group
- Suicide Counsellor – Samaritans Suicide Crisis Intervention Centre, HK
- Honorary Psychotherapist- London Friend, UK
- Wellbeing Centre Officer– Mind, Richmond Royal Hospital, UK
- Mental Health Mentor- Randstad Student Support, UK
- Eating Disorder Inpatient Ward – NHS
- Art Therapist- Tennyson Special School, Australia
- Counselling Practitioner- Centacare Family Services, Australia
- Taipei Psychiatric Hospital Drug & Alcohol Unit, Taiwan
Professional and Academic Award
- Endeavour Award (International), 2010 – Australian Government
- Dean’s commendation for High Achievements in Master of Mental Health, 2011
- Dean’s List Recipient 2009, School of Social Work
- Social Work Departmental Prize and Class Scholarship
- HSBC Social Science Scholarship, 2008, 2009
Other Professional Training
- Psychosynthesis (A Psyho-spiritual model to therapy) Foundation
- Working successfully with Addictions
- Hypno-psychotherapy in Practice
- Trans(gender) Awareness Training
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention
- A Critical Analysis of Domestic and Family Violence
- Working with children and families with mental illnesses
- Certificate of Enneagram Trainer
- Enneagram and Counselling – Qualified Trainer
- Qualified Yoga Teacher (Yoga Alliance)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am passionate about dispelling destructive myths and stigma about borderline personality disorder (BPD), and provide evidence-based treatment for related issues such as fear of abandonment, moods swings, anger outbursts, impulsive and compulsive actions, chronic anxiety, suicidal thoughts and urges to self-harm.
My goal is to create deep and lasting shifts that dispel your difficulties at their roots. On top of a mere intellectualshift (which is where many traditional forms of therapy, such as short-term CBT, stops) , we aim for changes on a visceral and emotional level.Because true healing and come from lasting changes on physical, emotional and behavioural levels, the work should be integrative and holistic in nature. Instead of having a fixed, rigid modal, it is important to find out the unique way of working that best resonate with you.
- Art therapy/Art psychotherapy
- Arts therapies
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Existential therapy
- Gestalt therapy
Photos & videos
GBP 110 per session.
- Sensitive, intense and gifted women: what holds you back?
- Why didn't therapy work for my borderline personality disorder (BPD)?
- The gift inside borderline personality disorder (BPD)
- The gifts of being emotionally intense
- Being ‘too sensitive’: is it because of my childhood?
- Can I be emotionally free, no matter what happens?
- The trust practice for the sensitive and intense individuals
- Is your past holding you back from true intimacy?
- 'I have uncontrollable rage when I talk to my parents'
- Can I get over the fear of being hurt and love again?
- Hone your empathic intuition and heal the head/heart split
- Finding your best self by learning from the world around you
- Getting the diagnosis for Borderline Personality Disorder
- What Frozen teaches us about being emotionally intense
- Healing roadmap for the emotionally intense individuals
- Sick of worrying: One simple exercise to practise letting go
- The way out of confusion and emptiness as an empath
- Worried about how to survive your family reunion?
- Stop that cake! Habit changing tips that may actually work
- Find your flow as an intense person
- Where is my shadow self?
- Being you: How to be effortlessly happy and successful
- Stop telling me I 'think too much'!
- Are you the 'black sheep' of your family?
- The power of grief
- Be yourself, everyone else is taken
- Impressive results: Schema therapy for complex issues
- Feeling stuck in therapy? The surprising power of sandplay
- Why do I feel nothing? Emptiness and borderline personality
- Do I need to 'grow a thicker skin'?
- The wound of being ‘too much’ - Emotional intensity
- 'I can't meditate, I can't do mindfulness?'
- ‘I can’t get it right’
- Effective Treatment in Borderline Personality Disorder - What to look for
Eggshell Therapy has a permanent base in Southwest London. It is within 10 minute walk from Colliers Wood tube station. For more please visit: eggshelltherapy.com
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Friday
Types of client
Supervision & training