Prue Harrison - MBACP Registered/ Accredited, UKCP Registered
0208 973 1502
I have been a therapist in private practice for 14 years helping adults and young people with both open-ended and brief counselling and psychotherapy. My work has included University Student Counselling and NHS Staff Counselling so I have extensive experience of providing help for a wide range of emotional needs.
My main training is in integrative and psychoanalytic approaches which means I can draw on more than one method to adapt to the needs of my clients. For example, I may include the use of cognitive behavioural therapy to help clients manage anxiety, depression, panic attacks, and obsessional difficulties..
When clients bring issues that have a specific focus, are not complex and have come about recently, short-term solution-focused and cognitive behavioural counselling can be helpful. For issues and emotional difficulties that have been around for longer or for which there are less obvious causes, longer-term counselling or psychotherapy can be the appropriate choice. It can help you to clarify your thoughts and feelings and recognise unhelpful repetitive patterns to allow you to make new choices, decisions and even significant changes in your life if desired.
I have experience of working with a broad range of issues including:
- depression, anxiety panic attacks phobias
- bereavement and unexpected loss
- lack of confidence, low self-esteem, anxiety in social situations
- sexual or physical abuse, after-effects of traumatic experiences
- marital, family and relationship difficulties, parenting
- problems with fertility, pregnancy, post-birth, termination of pregnancy
- chronic fatigue, unexplained physical symptoms
- work-place stress, redundancy, long-term unemployment
- childhood memories, the effects of bullying and boarding-school issues
- a sense of lack of meaning for your life
- gender and identity issues, sexuality
Counselling and psychotherapy provide a safe place for you to talk about anything you would like, where you will not be judged or given advice.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post-graduate Dip. Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy, Regent's College London, City University Acc. 2002
- Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Training, Guild of Psychotherapist's London, UKCP Acc. 2006
- Certificate in Supervision, British Psychotherapy Foundation, 2007.
- Diploma in Childcare and Education, Richmond College, CACHE Acc. 1995
Accreditation with BACP 2004; UKCP 2007
I am an accredited counsellor and psychotherapist which means I have reached a high standard of training and experience. I am registered with BACP, UKCP and the Guild of Psychotherapists and abide by their code of ethics so you can be assured of my professionalism.
Continuing Professional Development Certificates include:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Centre for Stress Management and Wimbledon Guild
- Cognitive Analytic Therapy, Wimbledon Guild
- Attachment perspectives in practice, Wimbledon Guild
- Eating Disorders, Westminster Pastoral Foundation and Reading University
- Alcohol and Substance Misuse, Richmond and Kingston Alcohol Service
- Working with Trauma, Confer, London, Complex trauma, Wimbledon Guild
- Overcoming shame and guilt in bereavement, Cruse
- Introduction to Imago Couples Therapy, the Awareness Centre, London
- Couples Therapy training workshops with Juliet Grayson
Honorary counsellor positions until 2006: the Wimbledon Guild, Morden Pastoral Foundation, Surrey University, the Guild of Psychotherapists Clinic, London.
Employment: NHS Staff Counsellor at St. Helier's Hospital, Surrey.
University Counsellor in Twickenham for Richmond education authority.
Private Counselling and Psychotherapy Practice, Teddington since 2000
Previous training in childcare and education (CACHE Diploma) led to employment by Richmond Local Authority in primary schools supporting children having special needs gain access to equal opportunities in education and for Richmond Children and Families teams in support work.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Psychosomatic/unexplained physical symptoms
Problems related to sense of identity/sense of purpose
Counselling and psychotherapy sessions of 50 minutes duration: £45
Initial Consultation of an hour: £50
Supervision Sessions of 50 minutes duration: £50
Some concessions are available subject to availability of sessions.
My Counselling Room
My practice is wheelchair accessible, has free-parking and is 10 minutes walk from Teddington and Hampton Wick rail stations and local bus-routes.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday & Tuesday mornings/evenings, Weds & Thursday all day and evenings, Friday daytime.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|