Paula Brown - Individual & Couples Counselling, EMDR, Clinical Supervision
9 Millersdale Avenue
Finding the right counsellor is an important step, the fact that you are here means that you have already made the biggest step in recognising you would like some support.
Counselling is a safe space to offload and explore what's going on for you. Counselling is not about me giving you advice. However, I will advise you on how to utilise coping techniques and strategies to support you, to find your own way forward.
I will provide with you my time, commitment and compassion to your needs in a safe and comfortable environment. In working together, this may ease your distress and worries, by breaking things down into sizeable chunks. Counselling includes exploring the past (if relevant) or recognising where depressed feelings maybe coming from, understanding what this means for you in the here and now and evaluate what you need in the present and future and, consider any blocks to these feelings/emotions or anxieties.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am qualified to Level 5 Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling along with further training in Couples/Relationship Therapy and Supervision training in a Certificate in Supervision in 2009 and Diploma in Supervision in 2014. I am also an EMDR Trained Therapist.
I am a BACP Accredited/Registered counsellor - according to BACP, accreditation means ‘to demonstrate the capacity for independent, competent, ethical practice and enables clients, employers and colleagues to recognise proven, competent practitioners'. A registered counsellor is qualified but hasn't gone through the accreditation process and has not achieved working with clients for at least 450 hours.
I have 10 years counselling experience working in a variety of settings, in bereavement at Cruse Bereavement Care, with mental health issues with students at New College Nottingham, in private practice since January 2010 and Counsellor Coordinator positions at SYEDA (Eating Disorders Centre in Sheffield), Central Notts Mind, Mansfield and as a Counsellor with CARE Fertility.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Domestic violence
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
Other areas of counselling I deal with
10 REASONS TO TRY EMDR
1. Improve overall health - EMDR can alleviate PTSD related stress. Research shows a significant link between reducing stress and your physical health.
2. Resolve issues at any age - EMDR may be used effectively for children, teenagers and adults.
3. Overcome Persistent Blocks - EMDR can relieve symptoms that talk and cognitive therapies cannot address as efficiently.
4. Relieve Chronic Symptoms - EMDR therapy can be cost effective as it can address the root cause of chronic symptoms.
5. Think and Feel Better - EMDR can neutralize negative thoughts and feelings, and strengthen positive ones.
6. Reduce Physical Symptoms - EMDR can calm flashbacks and other disruptive physiological (body) reactivity.
7. Increase Achievement - EMDR can be helpful in removing blocks to peak performance at work or at home.
8. Break Free from Old Patterns - EMDR can enhance your quality of life by unblocking negativity from the past distorting your present and future.
9. Build Resilience - EMDR can increase your ability to tolerate negative experiences and help you recover more quickly when they do occur.
10. Reclaim Personal Power - EMDR is supported by your body’s natural healing process and allows your mind to define the meaning of your experience.
Individuals: £40 per session
Couples: £50 per session
EMDR: £50 per session
I offer both daytime and evening appointments - weekdays. I do not offer appointments at weekends.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytimes/evenings (Week days): Monday-Thursday 9 am-7 pm; Friday 9 am-2 pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
My approach to supervision includes the formation of a strong working relationship.View supervision profile