Paula Brown - Individual & Couples Counselling, EMDR, Clinical Supervision
9 Millersdale Avenue
Hi my name is Paula - many thanks for finding my profile. Finding the right counsellor is an important step. The fact that you are here means that you have already made the biggest step in recognising you would like some support.
This maybe your first time in seeking support or you have tried several counsellors before and it's not felt right or you have not achieved what you wanted to. The next step is to try to make sure that you feel comfortable with your counsellor. The connection between counsellor and client is built and established to support and encourage you to find a way forward.
The right connection with your counsellor will allow you to form stronger existing relationships / friendships, recognise any harmful ones and consider what is important for you. I will advise you if I do not feel that I'm the right counsellor for you and make sure that I signpost you to an alternative counsellor/service.
I will allow you to make full use of sessions and will recommend the frequency of the sessions depending on the complexity of the issues you bring to the assessment session. Sessions can be weekly, fortnightly or monthly and can be spread out until you feel comfortable with what's going on for you and things are making more sense to you.
Counselling is a safe space to offload and explore what's going on for you. It may be alternative to your own, partner's, friends or family's views and receiving advice that's what they think is right for you. Counselling is not about me giving you advice. However, I will advise you of coping techniques / strategies that maybe of benefit to you.
I provide with you my time, commitment and compassion to your needs in a safe and comfortable homely environment. In working together, this can ease your distress and worries, by breaking them down into sizeable chunks.
Counselling includes advising and understanding your problems/issues together to explore, evaluate and find your answers in your own way and in your own time with ongoing support. When you are looking at making improvements/changes in your life it's important to recognise that this doesn't always go smoothly and sometimes it is one step forward and two steps back. This is part of making progress and is beneficial to learn from mistakes along the way. As sessions continue you may recognise how to adapt and adjust to how you would like things to be, naturally and in your own individual way of being.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am qualified to Level 5 Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling along with further training in Couples/Relationship Therapy and Supervision training in a Certificate in Supervision in 2009 and Diploma in Supervision in 2014. I am recently qualified in EMDR Therapy (Parts 1-3) as a EMDR Trained Therapist which is now available.
I am a BACP Accredited/Registered counsellor - according to BACP, accreditation means ‘to demonstrate the capacity for independent, competent, ethical practice and enables clients, employers and colleagues to recognise proven, competent practitioners'. A registered counsellor is qualified but hasn't gone through the accreditation process and has not achieved working with clients for at least 450 hours.
I have counselling experience since June 2007 (9 years) working in a variety of settings, in bereavement at Cruse Bereavement Care, with mental health issues with students at New College Nottingham, in private practice since January 2010 and Counsellor Coordinator positions at SYEDA (Eating Disorders Centre in Sheffield), Central Notts Mind, Mansfield and currently as a Counsellor with CARE Fertility.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Family issues
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
Other areas of counselling I deal with
10 REASONS TO TRY EMDR
1. Improve overall health - EMDR can alleviate PTSD related stress. Research shows a significant link between reducing stress and your physical health.
2. Resolve issues at any age - EMDR may be used effectively for children, teenagers and adults.
3. Overcome Persistent Blocks - EMDR can relieve symptoms that talk and cognitive therapies cannot address as efficiently.
4. Relieve Chronic Symptoms - EMDR therapy can be cost effective as it can address the root cause of chronic symptoms.
5. Think and Feel Better - EMDR can neutralize negative thoughts and feelings, and strengthen positive ones.
6. Reduce Physical Symptoms - EMDR can calm flashbacks and other disruptive physiological (body) reactivity.
7. Increase Achievement - EMDR can be helpful in removing blocks to peak performance at work or at home.
8. Break Free from Old Patterns - EMDR can enhance your quality of life by unblocking negativity from the past distorting your present and future.
9. Build Resilience - EMDR can increase your ability to tolerate negative experiences and help you recover more quickly when they do occur.
10. Reclaim Personal Power - EMDR is supported by your body’s natural healing process and allows your mind to define the meaning of your experience.
Individuals: £40 per session
Couples: £50 per session
EMDR: £60 per session
I offer both daytime and evening appointments - weekdays. I do not offer appointments at weekends.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytimes/evenings (Week days): Tuesday-Thursday 9 am-7 pm; Friday 9 am-2 pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
My approach to supervision includes the formation of a strong working relationship.View supervision profile