Pamela Johnson M.A. P.Grad Cert. Psychological Trauma Reg MBACP (Accredited)
Before training as a counsellor my career was in nursing and midwifery education. I understand any apprehension you may have about contacting a counsellor as many years ago, when I was finding life difficult, it took considerable courage to make the initial contact. For me the experience was life changing.
With 13 years experience I have worked for 9 years at a doctors' surgery and for Employment Assistance Providers. I have worked with Cruse Bereavement Care and currently am a volunteer counsellor at a Bereavement Counselling Service.
I offer a safe, confidential empathic space in which you will be heard and not judged.
COUNSELLING PROVIDES AN OPPORTUNITY:
- to explore the distress, unhappiness, difficulties and challenges that you are experiencing with someone not involved in your current situation
- to help you to make sense of what is happening in your life
- to explore the changes you would like to make in order to move forward
HOW I WORK:
Typically after a brief telephone consultation I will offer you an exploratory session to discuss your needs. If both of us to decide we wish to work together we will make a working agreement. Sessions last 50 minutes and initially are usually on the same day and at the same time each week. Some clients choose short term counselling (typically 6-8 sessions) others prefer to have longer term counselling.
I work with individual clients age 18 years or above. My approach is tailored to each client's needs drawing on concepts from:
- Psycho-dynamic counselling which is about the ways in which unconscious processess and past experiences shape present behaviour.
- Cognitive behavioural therapy acknowledges the importance of past life experience but works in the here and now to address current concerns.
- Solution focused therapy aims to help you address present or future concerns without considering any underlying concerns.
I also offer Eye Movement Desensitisation and Re-processing (EMDR) therapy.
You may find it helpful to click on the GETTING HELP tab above where you will find more information about these and many other types of therapy.
I believe it is of paramount importance that client and counsellor develop a trusting and collaborative working relationship as this is a major contributory factor for a successful outcome for our work together.
I have a particular interest in post traumatic stress, bereavement and other losses such as job loss or the ending of a relationship.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2016 EMDR Europe Accreditted Training Parts 1, 2 and 3
- 2012 Postgraduate Certificate in Psychological Trauma (Distinction)
- 2011 MA in Counselling Studies (included elective modules in CBT and Brief Therapy)
- 2006 Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Counselling for Depression
- 2005 Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Counselling Skills
- 2005 Diploma in Counselling validated by the Awarding Body Consortium
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
Photos & videos
I offer an obligation free exploratory session for £20. This is an opportunity to explore what you hope to gain from counselling and what I offer. If we both feel we would like to work together then payment of a £20 deposit secures your next session.
I do not charge for cancelled sessions provided I receive 48 hours notice of cancellation.
If you have private health insurance you may like to enquire whether this covers counselling.
Charges for organisations £45 for all session because of the extra time needed for the paperwork involved.
Please enquire about the availability of reduced fees for students, those in receipt of benefits or on a low income. Evidence required.
I have professional indemnity insurance, an enhanced DBS Certificate and registration with the Information Commissioner's Office. I adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework, have regular supervision and am committed to my professional development.
If you think I might be a suitable counsellor for you before offering you an exploratory appointment I like to have a short initial obligation free telephone discussion with you. If I am not available please leave a message with suggested suitable times for me to return your call. You may prefer to make initial contact with me by email. We could then agree a time for a telephone discussion.
Referrals from EAP providers and Insurance Companies are welcomed.
My practice in Chester is in well appointed counselling rooms easily accessible from the nearby motorway network for clients from Cheshire, Wirral, Flintshire and Wrexham. Complimentary hot and cold drinks are available in the waiting room. The rooms are on the No 51 bus route with buses every 10 minutes. Street parking is available.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Week day morning, afternoon and evening appointments Some Saturday morning appointments also available. Exploratory session offered for £20
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|