Pam Phillips : MBACP (Accred.) MA & Dip. Counselling (CBT)
178a Whitchurch Road
I am a qualified counsellor and an accredited member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I work at a private counselling practice situated in central Cardiff.
I offer counselling support to adults and children (young people aged between 14 and 18 years old) who are experiencing problems such as :-
- family/relationship problems
- work-related stress
Counselling sessions last for one hour and take place on a one- to -one basis in a comfortable, private room.
The counselling approach I use is called cognitive behavioural therapy(CBT). During your first session I will encourage you to talk through the issues which are concerning you. Together we will explore the thoughts, feelings and behaviours which may be contributing to your problems and begin to identify helpful ways to cope with your situation. Subsequent sessions will assist you in developing your ability to make the kind of changes you wish to make in your life whilst gaining greater self-awareness and skills to improve your mental health and sense of well-being.
The number of sessions you receive is negotiable. Some people find that they have worked through a particular issue and have begun to make positive changes in their lives within a few sessions of short term counselling, whereas other people find it helpful to continue for longer.
My experience of working as a cognitive behavioural therapist for the NHS in a GP's surgery and an Employee Wellbeing Service, means that I am adept at counselling people from diverse backgrounds who present with a wide range of problems.
Before I became a counsellor I worked in the education sector for 26 years. I now use my experience and knowledge of the education sector in my private counselling practice to support staff and students in secondary, further and higher education.
Training, qualifications & experience
Experience of Counselling work includes:-
- Associate counsellor for students and staff (Cardiff University)
- Cognitive behavioural therapist for the NHS in a GPs' surgery (Cardiff and the Vale University Health Board)
- Cognitive behavioural therapist for Employee Wellbeing (Cardiff and the Vale University Health Board)
- Community counsellor for young (11-18 yrs old) people (Action for Children)
- School-based counsellor (Barnardo's)
- Counsellor for Open University Students
I have achieved the following qualifications:-
- MA Counselling(CBT),
- Dip. Counselling (CBT),
- Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling
- M.Ed. (Counselling, Tutorial Support, Study Skills
- PGCE (English, Drama, History)
- BA(Hons) English and American Literature
I am a registered and accredited member of the professional body for counsellors and psychotherapists ( BACP).
I hold a current Enhanced DBS check.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
£35 per session for young people (14+) and adults
£30 per session for students 18+
Saturday counselling sessions are now available
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|