Nina Leonard MBACP Registered Psychotherapist
I know looking for psychological help and choosing a counsellor can present us with challenges.
In my experience, many people who seek therapy are hoping that their counsellor has enough knowledge, training and experience to understand what they are going through. At same time, we also need to learn some simple and effective strategies to manage our difficulties, and to achieve positive changes in the long-term.
This understanding informs how I work with clients, only using psychological interventions which are well researched and proven to be effective, such as CBT, integrative counselling and Compassion Focused Therapy.
I have developed and widened my skills and knowledge through working with numerous clients as an NHS psychological therapist and facilitating courses on self-management of depression and anxiety with the NHS and other organisations.
I help my clients learn effective and relevant strategies, so that they can manage their wellbeing outside of therapy room. Some achieve their goals in just a handful of sessions, and some need longer-term work.
In a safe therapeutic environment I support my clients to process emotions and address barriers to change, whilst developing resilience and a sense of perspective.
Training, qualifications & experience
TRAINING & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Diploma in Supervision
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling
- Compassion Focused Therapy for Shame & Self-Critical Difficulties (with Prof Paul Gilbert)
- Diploma in Creative Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Certificate in CBT-E for Eating Disorders (University of Oxford)
- Compassion Focused Therapy for Groups (Compassionate Mind Foundation)
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling
- Compassionate Mind (with Prof Paul Gilbert)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Psychological Therapies at the University of Plymouth (NHS)
- Accredited Clinician Tutor with Self-Management of Depression Programme (NHS)
- Trainer and Skills Coach in clinical communication skills when working with long-term conditions (NHS)
- Post Graduate Diploma and BA Hons in History & Modern Languages at the University of Exeter
I have worked in a variety of clinical mental health settings, including Primary Care, inpatient psychiatric facilities, and an Eating Disorders Service for over a decade. I have worked as a Psychological Therapist in an NHS Depression & Anxiety Service, and have practiced as a counsellor for over five years.
The training I've received within the NHS in preliminary mental health diagnosis and evidence-based therapies ensures that my psychotherapy practice is safe and appropriate to the issues presented.
I have taught CBT-based and Compassion Focused Therapy informed courses in self-management of depression and anxiety for the NHS and other organisations for over six years.
I have co-facilitated Advanced Development Programme sessions with a clinical psychologist, Prof Larry Baker (Torbay Primary Care Trust & Health Foundation). The programme was developed to teach clinicians (mainly GPs) to communicate effectively with people who live with depression and other long-term conditions. I have also delivered numerous skills coaching sessions for clinicians within this training programme.
Prior to my clinical work, I have undertaken post-graduate research and worked as a lecturer at the University of Exeter. I have also worked in the field of diversity and equality, and as a graduate management trainee with one of the national fast track civil service programmes.
I am a registered psychotherapist with the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) and abide by their codes of ethics and professional practice.
I am a member of the British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)
I belong to a Special Interest Group (SIG) in Transdiagnostic Psychotherapy Approaches (BABCP)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Bulimia nervosa
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- £50 per session.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer sessions during daytime and evenings
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|