45 Central Street
Royston Complementary Health Centre
31C Market Hill
Take control of your life:
People seek my help for a variety of reasons:
- anxiety & stress
- general anxiety disorder
- social anxiety
- self confidence or self esteem
- issues affecting men
- relationship problems
- work related issues.
Sometimes the source of the problem is not obvious, but you are having problems with eating, sleep or just life in general. What is it that needs to change in order for you to feel better.
Problems don’t usually disappear and if left might develop into depression, panic attacks, which will leave you feeling worse.
Getting help with your issues:
There may be times when you have problems and you don’t want to approach friends or family, that is when you can approach a professional, A talking therapy is about learning to tell your own story, and getting better and better at it, adding on more detail as you become more aware, it is about freely expressing how it was, and how it is, but of course it is about moving forwards as well, having somebody that you can trust, without worrying about how you are saying it.
I find that often people look forward to coming to the sessions and there is a relief in taking the first step.
I have been trained as a Psychodynamic Therapist, this approach focusses of the unconscious and past experiences, and how they shape your current behaviour.
I recognise that individual issues often need a more tailored approach, and therefore I have additional training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and Person Centred Therapy, and will utilise an integrated approach when appropriate.
Why might you be reluctant to seek counselling:
There is often unfounded apprehension about counselling, questions such as will I be asked uncomfortable questions - you are in the "driving seat" and will be fully in control of what we talk about, and how far you wish to go in each session.
Everyone's experience of counselling is different, without exposing yourself to this experience, you will never know if it is appropriate to you and the problems you wish to address.
Training, qualifications & experience
Registered Member (Reg No: 187031) of The British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists (BACP)
Counselling Foundation - Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling
Regents University - Certificate in Counselling
I have experience of working with adults from the age of 18, particularly in helping with depression, General Anxiety disorder, work related stress and emotional difficulties associated with life-changing events which include redundancy, retirement, job loss.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Eating disorders
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Men's Issues I have worked extensively with men who are often hesitant to seek help. Too often men would prefer not to admit that they have a problem that might benefit from talking to someone. In attempting to mask these difficult feelings, men often turn to denial, anger - turning this in on themselves or those they love. Internalising the idea that being a "man" means you sort out problems without involving others is damaging and causes unnecessary suffering to yourself and those you love.
- Work related Issues I have extensive experience of working with anxiety arising out of work related issues ( redundancy, retirement, prolonged ill health), which can be damaging to a person's feelings of self worth. I can help in processing the multiple emotions relating to these changing circumstances, bringing a fresh perspective and building the resilience necessary to assimilating these changes.
- Psychosomatic Pain Also known as Functional Neurological disorder/Psychogenic Pain - This can be the cause of unexplained chronic symptoms eg RSI, Digestive disorders etc. I will be happy to review the symptoms with you and help you decide if we can potentially work together to resolve these issues.
My counselling training allows me to offer a safe place to explore the emotions around life changing events, and to help you to plot a course for your future. The idea of asking for counselling might raise anxiety - here are some key points:
- During counselling no one will tell you what you should do
- It is a non-judgemental process
- No-one will tell you how you are feeling
- Counselling allows you to focus on troubling issues
I practice from consulting rooms in Clerkenwell, London EC1, and City of London EC2, also Royston, Hertfordshire. My fees will reflect the cost to me of practicing in these locations.
A guideline for my fees is as follows:
- Daytime & Evening sessions in Hertfordshire (9am - 5pm) - £50
- Daytime sessions in London (10am - 4pm) - £55
- Evening sessions in London (4pm - 8pm) - £60
- Skype (9am - 4pm) - £50
- Skype (After 5pm) - £50
- Email or Telephone sessions - £40
All sessions are 50 minutes duration, normally sessions are held at the same time every week.
Our initial meeting:
We will have an initial meeting which will give us a chance to discuss what has brought you to seek counselling and the objectives you have. I will want to know more about you and your family, your relationships, and your current circumstances, the more that you are able to tell me at this stage will help to structure our sessions appropriately. I will ask you to tell me more about the history of the issues that you are bringing, and understand how these are affecting you in everyday life.
I will explain to you how counselling works and in particular what you can expect.
Frequency of our sessions:
we will normally meet once a week at the same time.
I will explain the terms of the contract, my charges and answer any questions you might have. Payments can be by cash or bank transfer - all payments must be made in advance or at the time of the session.
From our first contact you will be in charge and I will work with you to bring about the changes you are seeking.
All of our work will be confidential, and I work within the professional guidelines of the BACP.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am currently available for weekdays and evening sessions, I am also available for Skype sessions both during the day and evening.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|