Neil Keenan (MUKCP, MUKAHPP)
I work with adults and children both in private practice at my home north of Bristol and at two local secondary schools, offering both long and short-term psychotherapy and counselling. In addition, I am a trustee and counsellor with a Bristol-based charity, which provides counselling and psychotherapy across the West Country.
My clients are often experiencing crisis in their life and seek support to enable them to make changes to habitual and intrusive feelings and thoughts that limit their joy of life. Such thoughts and feelings often lead to behaviours that can damage relationships and the quality of clients' lives. Such issues include:
- eating disorders
- drug and alcohol addiction
- unfulfilling family relationships
- low self-esteem and confidence
- and confusion regarding sexual orientation and gender.
Current distress often finds its roots in past neglect, abuse and relational privation. A significant number of my clients experience difficulties and confusion in relationships because of underlying ongoing conditions, such as Asperger Syndrome, in which I have particular interest and experience.
These issues can be explored and resolved in psychotherapy, which results in real changes in the individual's way of life, improved relationships and an ability to maintain joy in the face of current problems and pressures.
I work closely with clinical supervisors, and, when necessary, with other outside agencies, such as GPs, schools and local mental health professionals. I always consult with clients and work with them when advocating on their behalf to outside agencies. I follow the codes of ethics of the European Association for Transactional Analysis (EATA) and the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP). I am accredited as a Psychotherapeutic Counsellor by the UKCP and the Association for Humanistic Psychology Practitioners (UKAHPP). In addition, I am registered with the United Kingdom Association for Transactional Analysis, and I am working towards accreditation as a Certified Transactional Analysis Psychotherapist.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Transactional Analysis 101 Verification Certificate;
- Foundation Certification in Transactional Analysis with Application to Psychotherapy, Contact Point, Registered Training Establishment of the United Kingdom Association for Transactional Analysis;
- Advanced Certificate in Transactional Analysis with Application to Psychotherapy, Contact Point;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Transactional Analysis with Application to Psychotherapy, Contact Point;
- Postgraduate Advanced Diploma in Transactional Analysis with Application to Psychotherapy, Contact Point.
- UKCP Accredited Psychotherapeutic Counsellor.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
£40 per session
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Russian - Fluent 2nd language|
Monday to Friday, daytime and evenings
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|