Michael Lappin Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) BABCP
The Hackwood Partnership
I provide Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) for people experiencing problems with depression, anxiety, stress, anger, bereavement and relationship problems. Currently, I am employed by an NHS Trust to deliver CBT within primary care settings, and have a small private practice.
In addition, I have experience in treating:
- excessive worry
- obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) including EMDR.
- specific phobias (for example fear of crowded places, needles/injections, spiders or social situations)
- physical health problems, such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME) and Fibromyalgia
- ante-natal/post-natal depression.
My experience working in various NHS mental health settings over the past 24 years, together with delivering CBT for the last 10 years, means I am able to adapt my approach to deal with most situations.
I am registered with AXA PPP, Bupa, WPA and Aviva as a psychological therapist and hold professional indemnity insurance.
My private practice is in Basingstoke and runs on a Friday.
Sessions tend to be relaxed and informal as that is what I am like outside of work.
Training, qualifications & experience
My core professional background is in Mental Health Nursing (26 years experience), and I am registered with the UK Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). This organisation has statutory obligations to protect the public by ensuring that nurses and midwives provide high standards of care to their patients and clients (www.nmc-uk.org). I work full time as a CBT specialist in the NHS, leading a team of psychological therapists in Berkshire, and have a small private practice.
I am also accredited with the lead organisation for CBT in the UK, the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (www.babcp.com).
- Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive-Behavioural Therapies (Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London) 2005
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychological Intervention CBT (University of Surrey) 2011
- Registered Mental Nurse (NMC) 1991
- Diploma in Nursing (King Alfred’s College, Winchester) 1998
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mental Health Problems (Middlesex University) 2000
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Prices start from £70 for each 50 minute session.
It is not unusual for us to have some email correspondence between sessions (sending out reading materials etc.) and this is included.
A typical course of treatment is six to eight sessions, depending on individual circumstances. Many people notice a significant improvement after only two or three sessions, some choose to continue their treatment over a longer period. Usually, following the first session, I will be able to tell you how long your treatment will take.
I am happy to discuss this in more detail before you book your first session.
Originally from Liverpool, my accent is now diluted after 26 years in Hampshire. I am married, with 3 school age children, enjoy cycling and tending my allotment.
I aim to keep the sessions informal and relaxed.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Fridays 9am - 6pm
Types of client