Michael Friedrich BA Hons, MSc, Post MSc, Reg UKCP
01297 625006 / 07989 000088
I trained as a Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist and as a Counselling Psychologist and I provide the following services in my consulting room in East Devon and by Skype & FaceTime worldwide.
Psychoanalytic & Jungian Psychotherapy
This is a method of therapy which leads to greater self understanding and emotional literacy. It involves talking about your life, both past and present and about dreams and other aspects of your unconscious.
I provide counselling for couples, both straight and gay, who are experiencing trouble in their relationship.
This includes teaching stress management, relaxation techniques, mindfulness meditation & visualisation. Also my long experience as an NHS Chartered Psychologist & Clinical Manager helps me work with people who have a wide range of types of difficulty & clinical severity.
I provide supervision for psychoanalytic psychotherapists, counsellors, psychologists & psychiatrists - both students and fully qualified therapists.
Workshops CPD & Training
I provide workshops, CPD & training for psychoanalytic psychotherapists, counsellors, psychologists & psychiatrists - both students and fully qualified therapists.
I also provide workshops for people in the workplace. This may be in the public sector, for example, trauma debriefing for policemen or it might be in a stress management workshop for businessmen.
I completed my training as a psychodynamic counsellor in 1989. I trained as a Chartered Counselling Psychologist between 1992 & 1996 and I trained as a Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist between 1995 & 1999. I trained as a supervisor in 2001
I've had a private psychotherapy & counselling practice from 1990 to the present. I worked as a Chartered Psychologist & Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist in the NHS, where I was the clinical Manager of a Psychotherapy & Group Therapy Service. I have a long career in teaching & training and have been a visiting professor, teaching psychoanalytic theory in Masaryk University in the Czech Republic since 2009.
I am a member of the UKCP and of The Guild of Psychotherapists
Training, qualifications & experience
- NHS Certificate in Supervision – August 2006
- Certificate in Supervision - British Association of Psychotherapists – July 2001
- Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist – Guild of Psychotherapists – February 2000
- Post M.Sc. in Counselling Psychology – City University - May 1996
- M.Sc. in Counselling Psychology – City University - February 1994
- Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling – The Lincoln Institute - June 1989
- Counsellor and Psychotherapist in Private Practice - since 1990
- Visiting professor in psychotherapy at Masaryk University - since 2009
I was a Chartered Psychologist in the NHS and was the Clinical Manager of a Psychotherapy Service for several years and I was the Clinical Lead of CMHT services in the Poole & Bournemouth area.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
My Specialist Areas
- High sensitivity
- Artistic people
- Right brain dominant people
- Dyslexic people
- Issues surrounding parenthood
- Parent concerns about their child
- Adoption issues
- Relationship issues (seen as individuals or as a couple)
- Highly successful people who have had difficulties forming relationships
Photos & videos
£50 for individual psychotherapy or supervision.
£60 for couple therapy.
I have a few reduced fee spaces for people on a low income.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer spaces from 8-30 am to 8-30 pm inclusive, Monday to Friday.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Supervision.View supervision profile