The Priory Birmingham Wellbeing Centre
172 Edmund Street
51-52 Calthorpe Road
Providing a friendly, focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), and EMDR service.
Feeling Low, stressed or anxious? Experiencing seemingly uncontrollable worries or the need to avoid things or situations that make you uncomfortable or even panicky? Noticing reduced self-confidence, tiredness or a lack of interest in life? This may be the service to help you make a change - consider having an initial assessment to help you decide.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is recognised as effective and evidence based by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE). CBT is a practical and collaborative approach as we learn together about your situation, understand what may be maintaining it and look to develop strategies for positive change.
EMDR is a reprocessing therapy. When distress stems from traumatic or difficult life events or memories EMDR is often particularly effective and can sometimes provide a less intrusive therapy for trauma.
Difficulties commonly addressed include:
- Anxiety, worry, stress
- General Anxiety
- Health Anxiety
- Social Anxiety
- Panic Attacks
- Specific phobias
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (not all forms)
I have also used CBT to empower people who have struggled with:
- Low self esteem
What will happen:
- A short (free) phone conversation will be carried out initially with the hope of setting up a full assessment if appropriate
- Full Initial Assessment - This involves me gathering a lot of information from you and then discussing possible options for moving forward
- Ongoing CBT treatment sessions (face to face – but telephone work can be considered) - These will usually involve between 6- 20 sessions but will be reviewed throughout therapy. Sessions begin with collaboratively setting an agenda to ensure we effectively stick to your priorities for therapy. We will work on developing a formulation (understanding what has lead to the development and maintenance of your problems) which will then inform our specific treatment plan (including psychoeducation and the development of practical shifts in lifestyle and coping strategies). Each session will end with us agreeing on tasks that you will work on between sessions and these will be discussed in your next session.
- EMDR sessions: EMDR sessions flow slightly differently and often (but not always) do not require specific task to be carried out between sessions. All sessions still begin with collaborative agenda setting to ensure we prioritise effectively.
Please do not hesitate to email or text for further information.
I have access to therapy rooms within the Edgbaston and Birmingham city centre area of Birmingham and am also willing to consider telephone sessions.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Full EMDR Training (parts 1-4)
- Post Graduate CBT Diploma with distinction (including ACT Therapy)
- Post Graduate Cert in Low Intensity Psychological Therapies with distinction
- Psychology Degree with first class honours
- BABCP Accreditation
I have over 10 years experience working 1:1 with individuals from all walks of life – including young people and adults. Over the past 5 -6 years I have successfully treated adults who had struggled with the difficulties outlined above amongst others.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Social Anxiety
- Health Anxiety
Free 15 minute telephone enquiry - no obligation for therapy
- face to face CBT or/and EMDR sessions - please email for details
- Concession rates available.
- Please be aware that cancellation within 24hrs of appointment or failure to attend will incur 50% fee.
Please note: If you would like to be seen at The Priory Wellbeing Centre in Birmingham, then please visit their website for further information as all referrals and fees must go through them
"Really happy with the service provided. Meg is a great listener, lovely person who I always looked forward to seeing, she really helped me. I could not have asked for more. Thanks"
"Practitioner [Meg] was able to help me go through a difficult time and emotions that I was feeling. My mood has lifted and I feel a lot happier. I have practical skills that I can take forward. Practitioner has a positive attitude and made me feel at ease at all times. I felt I could trust her quickly and share personal information. Cant thank her enough. It means so much!!!"
"Brilliant service, Helped me help myself in very long term issues. Would come back if needed"
"Thank you! You did a fantastic job. From someone who used to work them self up every time I went out, to someone who does not even think about tablets or what I am about to face. Thank you for being so non judgemental and for making me feel relaxed about talking about my problems"
"A big thank you to Meg for her expertise, compassion, kindness and intuition. I've progressed further than I thought possible"
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client