Masha Bennett UKCP Reg Psychotherapist, EMDR Accred Practitioner
Please note my current waiting list is 2-3 weeks.
If you require professional, safe, gentle and confidential help, I can offer treatment for a wide range of issues, including addictions, anxiety, phobias, trauma / PTSD, eating disorders, insomnia, depression, OCD, low confidence, chronic stress, perfectionism, relationship problems, identity issues, high blood pressure, tension, physical pains and aches.
Adults (both individuals and couples), children and adolescents are welcome in my practice. I do not guarantee "quick fixes" - instead, we will focus on your individual needs and together devise your individual, unique treatment programme, to produce sustainable results as quickly, safely and effectively as possible.
I see clients in my private therapy practice in Glossop, as well as in a clinic in Mossley. Some types of treatment can also be conducted over the telephone and online (distant therapy is not suitable for everyone - please enquire if you would like to explore this option). I can offer therapy in Russian as well as in English.
I have over 14 years of experience of helping people to overcome many distressing issues and obstacles and to achieve their goals and dreams. I am an accredited Neuro Linguistic Psychotherapist registered with UKCP, and use an integrated approach within my practice, including NLP, Hypnotherapy, EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing), CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and Sandplay Therapy.
I have 16 years of experience of working in a helping capacity, including 7 years as a psychotherapist in the NHS (in a mental health services, staff support service and in a health psychology service), and some years of experience within addiction treatment services, including managing a drug rehab in a women's prison.
Therapy for therapists
Many of my clients are other therapists, counsellors and mental health professionals - if you are a therapist seeking help we can work together to address either work-related or personal issues - you can find more information on the Therapy for Therapists page on my website http://www.practicalhappiness.co.uk/pages/services/therapy-for-therapists.php .
If you are a trainee Neuro Linguistic Psychotherapist, personal therapy with me will count towards your accreditation requirements with NLPtCA.
Full-day intensive treatment
In addition to standard 1 hour sessions, I also offer full-day and half-day intensive therapy. You may want to consider this option if you live too far to travel for regular sessions, or if you prefer an intensive intervention. (Please note that this form of treatment suits some people very well but may not be appropriate for others - if you are interested in this way of working with me, please enquire).
Training and workshops
I teach courses on subjects such as: Trauma Awareness, Parts Therapy, Good Night's Sleep, EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), Self-hypnosis and other subjects in the UK, and 9 other countries around the world, including continental Europe, Middle East and Asia.
I am an associated trainer with the Northern Guild for Psychotherapy www.northernguild.org, and have been a regular quest trainer at the National Centre for Eating Disorders www.eating-disorders.org.uk, Claudius Drug Training www.claudiusdrugtraining.co.uk and other organisations in the UK and internationally.
I am a psychotherapy supervisor in training, having completed the Certificate in Supervision with the Northern Guild for Psychotherapy www.northernguild.org, and working towards accreditation as a supervisor with NLPtCA www.nlptca.org.
I am also an approved hypnotherapy supervisor with the General Hypnotherapy Register. Additionally, I offer supervision and mentoring to Practitioners of EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) and mental health professionals.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training & Qualifications
- MSc Therapeutic Practice in Psychological Trauma - Chester University (current, 2014-2016).
- UKCP Registered Psychotherapist.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Neuro Linguistic Psychotherapy.
- Certificate in Supervision.
- AAMET Master Trainer of Trainers in EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques)
- AAMET Advanced EFT Practitioner.
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing) - EMDR Europe Accredited Practitioner.
- EMDR for Children & Adolescents (Parts 1 & 2).
- Certificate in Integrative Sandplay Therapy.
- Certificate in Therapeutic Art (attended as CPD).
- Diploma in Therapeutic Art (attended as CPD).
- Post-Qualifying Diploma in Child Psychotherapy (pending 2016).
- 1 year postgraduate level training in CBT (attended as CPD).
- 1 year postgraduate level training in Play Therapy (attended as CPD).
- Postgraduate-level modules in Weight Management at Chester University (attended as CPD).
- Practitioner Skills for Eating Disorders / Obesity Management.
- The Relate Institute training in Working with Couples (attended as CPD).
- Practitioner of IEMT (Integrative Eye Movement Therapy).
- Matrix Reimprinting.
- Picture Tapping Technique.
- GHR Registered Senior Hypnotherapist.
- GHR Hypnotherapy Supervisor.
- Licensed Hypnotension Practitioner.
- Certificates in Workplace Mediation / Mediation with Teams.
- Animal-Assisted Interventions in Therapeutic Practice.
- NLP Master Practitioner.
- The Open University Diploma in Health & Social Care.
- Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dissociative Seizures (CPD)
- Professional Development Award in Creative Therapy.
- Certificate in Sexual Minority Therapy (Gay Affirmative Therapy).
- Certificate in Executive Coaching.
- Home Office Accredited Drug Treatment Programme Facilitator.
- Home Office Accredited Drug Treatment Manager.
- Psychotherapist and Trainer in Private Practice (since 2004).
- Associate Trainer with the Northern Guild for Psychotherapy.
- Psychotherapist with Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Trust / Health Psychology Department.
- Addiction and Trauma Psychotherapist with KeyRing.
- EMDR Therapist with Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust.
- Psychological Therapist / Counsellor with Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Trust / Resolve Staff Support Service.
- IAPT High Intensity Therapist with Tameside & Glossop Primary Care Mental Health Service.
- Therapist at Ivydene Children's Home.
- Well Being Centre Manager with The Big Life group.
- Prison Drug Treatment Manager with Phoenix House.
- Accredited Programme Tutor with National Probation Service.
- Research Assistant with the University of Aberdeen.
- Tutor in Trauma Counselling with Challenges Worldwide / international development project in Sri Lanka.
- Volunteer Counsellor with BeatBullying.
- Volunteer Play Therapist with Ludworth Primary School.
- Volunteer Therapist with the National Phobics Society (now Anxiety UK).
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Additional therapies available include: Sandplay Therapy, Sound Therapy, Ecotherapy (healing with nature), Clean Language & Symbolic Modelling, Metaphors of Movement, EmoTrance, Somatic Experiencing (a type of body psychotherapy), IEMT (Integral Eye Movement Therapy), the Meaningful Existence Model, Life Coaching and Executive Coaching.
I am registered as a therapist with the Pink Therapy directory, meaning that I work with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender clients in an affirmative, accepting and non-judgemental way.
You can find a handout with a simple relaxation technique on my website here http://www.practicalhappiness.co.uk/pages/documents-downloads.php (scroll down to "Simple Relaxation 5-4-3-2-1" - and feel free to download any other handouts on the page that you like the look of).
This is one of my favourites as it is easy, quick and works for most people. Especially good for insomnia, and when you are anxiously waiting for something (exam, test, difficult meeting, job interview) - really helpful for calming down the over-active mind.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Photos & videos
An initial telephone consultation of up to 20 minutes is free - or if your prefer we could have our initial discussion by email.
During the first face-to-face consultation (lasting 1 hour 30 minutes), the first 30 minutes are free, and if after 30 minutes you decide that I am not the best therapist for you and do not wish to continue, there will be nothing to pay.
My standard fees are £80 per session (a generous hour).
For fees on full-day and half-day intensive sessions, please enquire.
Reduce fees for supervision - only £50 (valid for new supervisees starting before September 2015).
Concessions and discounts
Concessions are available to those on low income, to war veterans, and workers of emergency services traumatised in the course of their duties.
Half-price treatment of £40 is available for children and adolescents (further discounts can be negotiated for families on low income).
If you are a member of BUPA or with some other health insurers the bulk of the cost could be covered by them (please enquire).
To comply with the ethical guidelines of my professional associations, to improve the quality of my service and to ensure safety and well being of my clients I undertake regular clinical supervision with a highly experienced psychotherapist and UKCP registered supervisor and also with an approved EMDR Consultant. I also undertake extensive Continuous Professional Development activities every year in order to enhance my skills and deepen my knowledge, to offer you the best possible support and treatment.
I am fully insured to practise and hold an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (former CRB) Certificate - this and the evidence of my qualifications are available for inspection on request.
- Also registered with Hypnotherapy Directory
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays, some evenings and occasional weekends.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I have been offering clinical supervision to health and care professionals since 2005, in the contexts of addiction recovery, mental health and counselling/psychotherapy.View supervision profile