Mary Heley MSc
01353 615665 / 07730 400946
I am a qualified and experienced Psychotherapist and Counsellor. Originally trained in the performing arts, my second career as a Therapist began 20 years ago. Since then I have worked in the NHS (General Practice), Social Services and at all levels of education. I spent 10 years running the Staff Counselling and Mediation Service at University College London and until recently acted as lead tutor on the Counselling Programme run by the Institute of Continuing Education, University of Cambridge. I work predominantly with adults.
The way I practice depends on you and your needs. I follow a broad-based approach which will look at how you feel, how you think and how you behave in the world.
Depending on these factors you may wish to focus on short-term problem solving, how to cope with the difficulties that life can throw at us. (Counselling). On the other hand you may wish to look deeper into how you came to be as you are - your past can tell us a lot about your present. The focus of my work is to help you change in whatever way you wish to do so. Doing this on your own can be a struggle. Conversations in your Therapy/ Counselling will then be the two of us looking carefully and closely at how you manage your relationships, your health, your work, any life issue which causes you distress or concern.
I have a particular interest in the following:-
- Relationships between parents and children including adoption
- Letting go of difficult childhoods
- Lack of confidence and generally not feeling good about yourself.
- Work related stress.
- Coping with loss of all kinds - the death of a loved one or a relationship for example.
- Anxiety and Depression
- Obsessive Thoughts and Behaviours
- Health Concerns
- Low self Esteem
I work in a private and discreet setting In Ely, Cambridgeshire
I am recognised as a BUPA Mental Health Provider (Psychotherapy Services)
Training, qualifications & experience
- MSc in Integrative Psychotherapy. Metanoia Institute
- BA in Psychology and Drama Open University
- AGSM Guildhall School of Music and Drama
- Certificate of Education. University of London
- Certificate in Brief Focal Psychodynamic Counselling. Westminster Pastoral Foundation
- Work and Life Coaching. The Berne Institute
- Family Mediation ADR Group
- Workplace Mediation CEDR
- CBT training on Stress Management and Building Resilience
- Working with Dreams. Society of Analytical Psychotherapy
- Managing Workplace Conflict. Institute of Group Analysis
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
£45 in Ely and £58 in the City. Sessions last for an hour.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday and Tuesday 10.30am - 6.30pm
Types of client