Martin Linton - Viewsaboutlife Counselling
01633 547180 / 07934 473692
Hello and welcome, I am a Systemic counsellor who brings a wealth of counselling theory and experiential practices to help you explore and talk through whatever it is that brings you to look for a counsellor. This means I work with both traditional and post-modern approaches for counselling, to assist in finding an appropriate way forwards that best suits you / the client.
My practice is accredited by the professional standards authority.
It is private, confidential and set in a welcoming, relaxed, safe, and accepting environment.
I can offer counselling in Cwmbran Np44 (day and evenings) and Newport central NP20 (daytime only).
My approach is to collaborate closely with my clients to intuitively and sensitively assist with identifying resources, solutions, possibilities, towards generating individual perspectives that in-turn develop meaningful improvements / transformative changes to life experiences
Therapeutic results can come about by dialogue or with additional experiential practices to free-up the system.
It is usual to achieve beneficial results with both males and females of varying ages.
I have gained a wealth of experience as a counsellor. I have counselled many years at Mind and have worked with a vast range of presenting problems. e.g. from the general public, Doctor, Hospital referrals and also other counsellors.
My services: Single Session Therapy, Brief Therapy, or Long term Relational Counselling.
More about my position as a counsellor is outlined below and on my website link at the top of this page. Otherwise, please contact me with any queries, if a pre-session chat may be useful to you before booking an appointment (free of charge).
Training, qualifications & experience
My work / life experience has taken me to most demographics where counselling skills and knowledge have been key, there is not much I've not had to deal with.
- Honoured Batchelor of Science (B.Sc Hons) Systemic Counselling (BACP Accredited), integrating Mindfulness and Existentialist ideas with systemic thinking.
- Internal Family Systems (IFS) experiential workshop + mastering skills - further training is ongoing (sponsored). IFS is the new wave of very effective Systemic thinking that is non-pathologizing therapy for the individual, (it is evidence based).
- Critical Inner Voice & Intrusive Thoughts workshop (An IFS influenced therapy).
- CBT: Cognitive Behavioural Therapies, studied with a focus on Trauma therapies.
- Rewind: Trauma therapy practitioner, (trained directly by Dr Muss). An effective way to quickly take the sting out of traumatic affect.
- Diploma: Systemic Counselling, (Solution Focused constructivist, Modernist strategic / structural, and Post-modern non-pathologising theory - integrating IFS theory and practices).
- Diploma: Psychotherapeutic Counselling, (Solution Focused, Humanistic, and traditional Cognitive Behavioural Therapies).
- Integrative studies: i.e. Three Routes of Counselling (Traditional: Humanistic, Psychodynamic and Rational Emotive Cognitive Behavioural Therapies).
- Metacognition: Embedding the Self in Culture: Brain plasticity and how to achieve it for self-development at the Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute.
- Vipassana x30 (Mindfulness stress reduction and coping tequniques): Experiential acceptance and commitment training and consultation. This involves the therapeutic use of "metta balm" consciousness and compassion focused strategies; useful for therapeutic work with craving / compulsion, depression, anxiety and trauma.
- EMDR. Workshop for stress reduction by using left and right consciousness'.
- EFT. Workshop for stress reduction by using pressure points and the bodies energies.
- ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Trained) Suicide Prevention trained + updated.
Deciding to attend counselling can often mean building up a great amount of strength and courage to admit to ourselves to take the first step to ask for help. This can mean overcoming the social stigma about mental health in-part alone before even meeting any counsellor and the scientific ideas, assumptions, and practices they carry with them, ( and indeed we all do in a sense as human beings). Then to put our trust in someone we don't know can be a frightening risk also and sometimes it can take a number of relationships to find what is needed, that is okay... I believe this to be wise.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Non-Voyeuristic Counselling,
- Emotional Dissolution (relief),
- Critical Inner Voice ,
- Inner child work,
- Excessive Shame / Guilt.
- Living with the effects of medical birth,
- Living with Asthma and / or Allergies.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Human Givens psychotherapy
- Humanistic therapies
Professional fees: are generally set with other counsellor / psychotherapists in the demographic but are negotiable depending on circumstances and availability
Session price guide [£45] per full hour+ (No travel or additional services are included).
Fees may vary depending on the practice requirements and times [pre arranged].
Typically sessions are 1 full hour in duration but are negotiated to a suited relational and practical frequency during our meetings.
Limited number of low cost sessions to students and potential charitable causes (daytime only).
Enhanced Public Child and Adult DBS clearance is in place.
It is not a requirement that people have to be "ill" or be desperate to come for counselling, as a systemic counsellor I'm not seeking to diagnose a medical illness or tell clients there is something wrong with them. Counselling can be for preventative measures or self improvement by forming an inbuilt healthy force for resilience (compassion) towards and for our own experiences, a before rather than after approach is on the increase.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||English speaking only, apologies.|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|