Martin Laurent MBACP(Accred), MBPS
92-94 Tooley Street
I am a fully qualified Psychotherapist and Counsellor with experience in working with depression, anxiety and phobias, loss and bereavement, trauma, terminal illness, self-esteem and confidence, sexuality, relationship issues, difficulties in the workplace, major life-changes, etc.
I am able to provide both short-term, as well as long-term therapy, offering a welcoming, confidential and safe place for you to address and explore the difficulties you are currently experiencing. The aim is to help you find clarity and understanding and move towards creating a more balanced way forward in your life.
The consulting rooms are conveniently located within walking distance of London Bridge rail and underground station. Alternatively, I am able to offer the opportunity of working together on-line via Skype.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have worked in counselling and psychotherapy settings within the voluntary sector since 2007 offering short-term (12 sessions) and long-term (1 year) therapy to clients with diverse presentations, such as depression; anxiety; trauma; terminal illness; bereavement; anger; sexual, emotional and physical abuse; sexuality; relationship issues and difficulties in the workplace.
I have also gained extensive experience in providing psychological therapy to people living with complex mental health issues, such as clinical depression; bipolar; generalised anxiety and panic disorders; phobias; schizophrenia and personality disorders while working for an NHS Out-Patient service. Here, I was also required to conduct intake assessments and develop psychological formulations for new referrals while liaising with other mental health professionals for the purpose of establishing a mutually agreed treatment plan.
As well as working in private practice, I provide clinical supervision for trainee counsellors at a London based mental health charity. I have also facilitated personal and professional development groups at my training institution.
- BSc (Hons) Psychology (2006) - The Open University
- Certificate in Psychotherapy & Counselling (2006) - New School of Psychotherapy & Counselling (NSPC)
- MSc Existential Counselling Psychology (2009) Middlesex University (NSPC)
- CPD in Time-Limited Existential Therapy (2009) - New School of Psychotherapy & Counselling
- CPD in working with issues related to Human Sexuality (2013) - New School of Psychotherapy & Counselling
- Currently completing a professional Doctorate in Existential Counselling Psychology - Middlesex University (NSPC)
- Clinical research on the impact of different understandings of spirituality on the process of therapy
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- The session fee for individual face-to-face sessions is £60. Each session will last 50 minutes. We will typically meet at the same time and place once a week for an agreed number of sessions.
- The session fee for individual Skype sessions is £50. Each session will last 50 minutes. It is important that you are able to secure a safe and confidential space in which you feel able to talk undisturbed via a secure internet connection. The initial assessment session for a potential Skype contract will be held face to face and charged at £60.
- There will be no charge for scheduled missed sessions with a minimum of one weeks notice, i.e. holidays.
- Unscheduled missed session with less than 48 hours notice will be charged at £20.
- Same day cancellations will ocurr a full session fee.
- Session Fees may be settled through cash or cheque payments, bank transfers or paypal.
What I can offer you:
My approach is to offer a non-judgmental, confidential and safe space in which to explore and better understand the experience of difficult personal times.
My role is to work alongside you, listening and providing support while recognising that you are the expert as far as your life is concerned. Together we will examine your current experience and potentially identify the source of any distress or unease you may be experiencing.
At the heart of the existential approach to psychotherapy and counselling, my principal area of practice, is the endeavour to gain awareness of the beliefs you hold about yourself and your world, to find clarity around the life-choices you have made and to understand what it is you may wish to change in order to move towards a more balanced and satisfying way of life.
Studying towards a doctorate in Counselling Psychology I have gained competence in various other approaches to therapeutic practice, such as Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. My aim is to draw upon all of these and develop a strategy that is best suited to your needs.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|