Marta Perestrello, HCPC Registered, PG Cert, MA, BA (Hons)
Art Therapy Derby
16A Uttoxeter Road
Since 2014, Art Therapy Derby is offering tailored Art Psychotherapy, Clinical Supervision, Consultation, Training and Workshops in Derby and throughout its surrounding areas.
Close to the University of Derby, I offer personal therapy to therapy and counselling trainees as part of their training.
I take a psychodynamic approach which means that the therapeutic relationship built between the client and I is central to the success of therapy.
I offer an Introductory Meeting for you to see the therapy room and its location and to meet me in person. This is a great opportunity for you to ask any questions related to therapy and art therapy and how we can go on from there.
Art materials are provided, though you can bring your own. The art work is respected as confidential material and brought into every session to be reflected upon or worked from as and when you wish. All the work produced registers the therapeutic progress, sometimes it is helpful to look back and see this trajectory.
You do not have to be good at art to use art therapy, and there might be times when you do not wish to engage in art making. The use of art in art therapy, however, is a powerful and valuable tool for expression and exploration. At times words may not be able to describe your experiences, thoughts or feelings- they can become useless, distractive or even more confusing. Through the use of art and art-making, symbols and symbolic play you can express yourself in a clearer way. Art can be a helpful way of communicating; the important thing is wanting to communicate.
Training, qualifications & experience
2015- Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Supervision- Level 7 (University of Derby)
2009- MA in Art Therapy (University of Derby)
2005- BA in Creative Expressive Therapies (Univeristy of Derby)
I am an Art Psychotherapist, registered and a full member of Health and Care Professional Council (HCPC) and Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). I abide by their Code of Ethics and Professional Practice.
I am experienced in working with children and young people in therapeutic residential care and in (Special Needs, Emotional and Behavioural and Mainstream) schools.
I am particularly interested in:
- Child development,
- Mental health and education,
- the impact of early life trauma, neglect and abuse the areas of child development, neuroplasticity, and on the impact of early life trauma, neglect and abuse,
- Professional development and self-care.
To ensure safe practice:
- I have an enhanced DBS check (Disclosure and Barring Services- previously known as Criminal Record Bureau- CRB),
- I hold a Professional Indemnity Insurance,
- I attend regular Clinical Supervision,
- I engage in personal therapy (as for my professional self-care),
- I attend regular and up to date professional development training
- I keep up to date with relevant policies for working with vulnerable children and adults.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Art Therapy Derby offers a tailored service to meet your needs. I am happy to meet you,your school or organisation to discuss how can Art Therapy Derby support you.
Art Therapy Derby offers:
- Individual art psychotherapy (children, young people and adults)
- Group art psychotherapy (children, young people and adults)
- Therapy for therapy and counselling trainees
- Therapy/ self-care to therapists in practice
- Individual clinical supervision
- Group supervision
To parents and carers
Professionals (in health and social care)
In schools (for teaching and supportive staff)
- Training and CPD for other therapists and counsellors
- Training and CPD for the care, education and helping professionals
- Art Therapy Workshops to the general public
Photos & videos
Please check my website for more details on the Fees page:
Link to my blog page:
How to support your child or adolescent attending therapy
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays to Fridays from 8.30 to 18.30 and some Saturdays from 10.00 to 17.00
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Clinical supervision is not only compulsory in the caring professions, it is also crucial to ensure the best practice for the clients and the self-care of the therapist.View supervision profile