Mark McDonnell MA, MSc, UKCP (accredited psychotherapist)
01603 810646 / 07954 405277
A bit about me
I am 60 and came to psychotherapy training after a lot of life experience. I have worked in industry, living and working in various different countries. I have brought up a family. I practice meditation and have lots of artistic and sports interests.
What happens in our sessions?
We meet in a peaceful location, a beautiful wooden building looking out onto a private garden, which, for many years, has been a centre for meditation and counselling.
For an hour the space is yours. There are many ways that healing, acceptance and peace of mind can be found:
- sometimes you may want me to really try to understand what its like for you at the moment;
- at other times you might need me to really hear and acknowledge what has happened to you or been done to you;
- you may need to be skilfully accompanied as you work through traumatic experiences and try to free yourself from their hold on you;
- you may need me to engage with you in a searching conversation as you try to make sense of life and find meaning in things again.
Is it time-limited?
You can have as many sessions as you need. There is no limitation. We usually meet at the same time each week for an hour.
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained as a person-centred psychotherapist at the Metanoia Institute in London. I am a registered and accredited psychotherapist with the UK Council for Psychotherapy (ukcp.org.uk). I have completed five years training at Masters level. As well as the academic side, the training included undergoing several years of personal therapy and doing a lot of work on my own self-knowledge and awareness.
Before becoming a therapist I spent five years in teaching and over twenty years in industry, working in the UK, Spain and the USA.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Relationship problems at work.
- Life changes such as
going to college or university,
promotions or redundancy,
becoming a carer,
- Ageing and facing one's own mortality.
- Finding meaning in life.
The first session is offered at £20 so that you can see whether it is right for you to work with me. Thereafter sessions cost £45 per hour and we usually meet weekly.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesday and Thursday mornings, Wednesday afternoons
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|