Maria Lawford -Counselling & Supervision Services
0775 263 7131
I offer short/ long term counselling and over the last 20 years have worked with a variety of psychological concerns related to trauma, anxiety and stress, death and dying, working with the bereaved, family relationships, work related issues, separation and loss, body image issues, bullying and the relationship between the mind and body and much more.
I work with the psychodynamic model which means that I pay particular attention to how our past experiences may continue to influence and sometimes interfere in our lives, our relationships with others and the way we think about ourselves in the here and now.
I also consider the particular needs and circumstances of the individual and use a variety of other therapeutic ways of thinking and working when required.
I have been involved with counselling for the last 20 years in a number of organisations within the private and public sectors.
I continue to work within the NHS setting specifically with those suffering acute illnesses i.e:
- renal problems
with physical injuries i.e:
- burns injuires
- road traffic accidents
- work related accidents
and also with chronic health conditions i.e:
- MS & other neurological conditions
- palliative care
I have several years experience in providing clinical supervision to NHS staff and other professionals and also provide clinical supervision in my private practice to those working in the public, private and voluntary sectors.
I am an accredited registered psychodynamic counsellor registered with the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (556254) since 2006.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BACP member since 2002, accredited counsellor since 2006
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling (2002)
- Advanced Certificate in CBT for Trauma (2006)
- M.A in Psychoanalytic studies (2012)
I have attended a number of group and supervision related courses over the years as well as specific seminars related to psychodynamic way of thinking.
- I have several years experience of being involved with counselling training as Certificate Course Co- Leader and Process Group Leader
- I currently provide teaching to NHS staff and also at Anglia Ruskin University on issues related to working with burn injured and traumatised patients and on topics related to patient care.
- I have supervised groups and individuals since 2008 within the public and private sectors.
- I currently provide supervision within the NHS to counsellors and other professionals.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a particular interest and experience in working with:
Coping with an acute illness or poor health & newly diagnosed health conditions
Living with chronic health conditions
Traumatic incidents & injuries
Managing trauma symptoms and psychological effects of past/recent trauma
Grief, loss and separation- death and dying, relationships, family, work
I offer once weekly sessions at £40
- I have a small but comfortable room - please note that there some steps leading down to the room.
- There are good public transport links by tube (Loughton & Debden) and bus (167, 20 & 250)
- If travelling by car, the M11 (from London) and M25 (Waltham Abbey) are 5 minutes drive away.
- There is parking close by.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day and evening sessions available
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am a psychodynamically trained counsellor and since 2008 I have supervised groups and individuals within the public and private sectors. .View supervision profile