Lyn Reed, MBACP (Registered), Ad.Prof Dip.PC, Dip.PC, B.A., M.A., Adv.Dip.CQSW
(44)1922 410327 / 07854 842927
I believe that the therapeutic relationship is an important one. Within it we can explore and understand concerns from the past that may be influencing the present. A safe space is provided which enables us to look at issues which often cloud the here and now. It is my opinion as well as my experience, that 'one size does not fit all' so 'Meeting Minds' offers a flexible, open ended approach tailored made to suit individual needs and expectations - whatever stage we are at on the road to recovery - and to help us stay on that road. Areas explored include::
- self-defeating beliefs
- managing chronic health
- stress in the workplace
- life changes
- low self esteem and confidence issues
- loss and bereavement
- emotional well-being
- weight loss
- work/life balance
- self expression through creativity eg art, writing
I offer daytime, evening and weekend appointments.
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained as an integrative counselling practitioner which, put simply, means I draw upon a wide range of therapeutic techniques as part of my professional practice. I have attained the Advanced Professional Diploma in Counselling & Diploma in Hypnotherapy and Counselling Skills.
I am a registered member of BACP, and I adhere to their ethics. I am fully insured to undertake my practice.I am a qualified social worker/probation officer (Postgraduate Dip.Soc/CQSW) and have a M.A.(by thesis).and am familiar with child protection procedures.
I have completed a six month course and acquired a Certificate in Counselling Children and Young People.
I have tutored courses including assertiveness in the workplace, handling stress, self management for chronic health conditions (Expert Patient Programme); provided self expression through the creative arts eg art, craft, music, drama, creative writing.
- My experience of enabling and empowering individuals through personal growth to achieve emotional well being has been acquired by working for many years in both the public and voluntary sectors. This includes working with young people in need of support and care, working with families, working with offenders both in the community and in prison; and individuals who feel alienated/vulnerable within their own communities/living space and have lost their identity and often their way.
- I have worked as a residential social worker supporting adolescents to live independently within the community, I have undertaken court/family work as divorce court welfare officer working with children and young people; I am familiar with child protection procedures and policies. I have Enhanced Disclosure.
- Working within the South Staffs community I have supported and empowered individuals to tackle their addictions, help those who experience isolation and exclusion and also those experiencing depression and other mental health concerns.
- .I have been a co tutor on the NHS programme Solutions for Health which encourages individuals experiencing anxiety and stress to use self-management techniques - thereby taking responsibility for building their own emotional tool kit which is unique to their own individual needs.
- As a student supervisor and manager in the social work field, I have extensive experience of supporting and empowering both students and employees at all levels by helping them to manage their stress and anxiety in their working/educational environment
- I have worked with groups and individuals in tackling weight loss through therapy by helping to identify the link between mood and food and identify triggers which can help tackle this increasingly common self-defeating behaviour
- I work with many clients who experience relationship issues, anxiety and depression.
- I am an Anxiety UK approved therapist providing therapeutic support to the charity's members and partners beneficiaries. I am subject to Anxiety UK's regular monitoring of my professional qualifications, supervision, continual professional development, insurance and professional body membership in addition to complying with the ethical framework and professional standards set down by my registered governing body. Full details of the Anxiety UK approved therapist scheme can be found www.anxiety.org.uk/getinvolved/therapists-at-anxiety-uk. Details about becoming a member of Anxiety UK and able to access therapy via the charity can be found here www.anxiety.org.uk/membership
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
More and more people are living with a long term health condition (or more than one), whether it be physical or psychological. Living with such restrictions can severely affect their emotional well being.
Being a carer for or living with a loved one with a condition can be very challenging at times. People who find themselves in this position often need emotional support too. Coping with loss, guilt and change can often be helped through therapy.
This is an area in which I have both personal experience and a special interest.
When I was a tutor on the Expert Patient Programme it never ceased to amaze me how much progress people with chronic health conditions made over a relatively short period of time. Some had virtually 'given up' on life. Yet I saw considerable change. Self esteem and self confidence often improves, depression lifts and anxious thoughts about the future seem more manageable. Relationships with significant others often improve considerably. Feeling assertive when one is feeling poorly can seem nigh on impossible at times - but in my opinion, it is all part of our recovery.
Working to improve our own emotional well being I believe can go a long way to improving our physical well being, too.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Photos & videos
Whilst I provide a low cost counselling service, I do not compromise on quality. I do my best to help my clients resolve their issues so they can move on with their lives.
As an independent counsellor I am dedicated to providing a service which is accessible to as many people as possible including the least well-off and those with chronic health conditions. In these circumstances I am open to negotiation!
Costs are as follows:
- I offer a FREE consultation (to assess if I can help and for us to assess we can work together) for face to face sessions
- I charge £25.00 for each subsequent session
- I use Whatsapp for on line work. I charge £10.00 per hour per session.
Costs for clients from external organisations are negotiated with the organisation concerned. I also prepare medical reports for courts.
Please note that under 2012 legislation your home insurance provider may be able to help you with your fees.
- Are you an addictive thinker? It's hard work but you can change your thoughts
- Jealousy in relationships: taming the green-eyed monster
- Male, 40 and stuck? That will be a mid-life crisis then...
- Living with addiction? You need support too.....
- Loneliness is not a private affair
- Binge eating? Here's some food for thought...
- How careless talk can trigger emotional eating
- 'Are you listening to me or do you just hear what I say?'
- Addiction: how it damages relationships
- How neediness can affect our self-belief
- Abuse comes in many guises: Let therapy uncover it
- Co-dependent? How therapy can help us act and not react
- Make friends with your inner self
- Self-injury awareness: There is another way
- Learning new habits is different to shedding old ones
- Coming to terms with our past
- This New Year discover what works for you
- Feeling anxious this Christmas?
- This Christmas stay in the adult mode
- How writing your own story can help your emotional pain
- Are our goals still working for us?
- Private practice: the therapist as a good role model
- Writing can help us remember the important stuff
- Relationship counselling: Let's hear it from both parties
- Having a relationship with ourselves and others
- Highly sensitive person and proud of it
- Teenage boys: They need a voice too
- A badge of honour! Who'd have thought it?
- Look out for the hero at work - they may be close by...
- Art and young people: 'How come I feel empty inside?'
- Managing our anxiety
- Making our behaviour work for us - now!
- Love, loss and learning about ourselves
- Ringing the changes
- Therapy - the gift we give ourselves
- Finding our voice through therapy
- Life is Like a Jigsaw
I keep myself up to date with developments in the world of counselling through Continuous Professional Development. These include attending courses on
Emotional Freedom Technique
Hypnotherapy and Gastric Band
Creating an on line presence for therapists
Confidentiality, Data Sharing and Counselling,
Dealing with Bereavement and Loss,
Managing Chronic Health Conditions and Change for Life
The Importance of Art In therapy
Counselling Children and Young People.
I also like to keep well informed via social media and other news outlets in relation to therapy and mental well being in general.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer daytime and evening appointments, home visits can be arranged if mobility is impaired. I also offer support in between sessions via text if required
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Having managed a Home Office Student Unit for students in social work and related fields I have considerable experience of supervising those who wish to access support especially when experiencing stress and anxiety concerning the demands of placements, studies, and assignments.View supervision profile