01422 897 576
Hello, and a warm welcome to my profile. I am a Person-Centred therapist, and I work in a beautiful rural location in Cragg Vale, near Hebden Bridge. I provide a confidential and empathic counselling approach so that you can explore your issues and problems, gain an understanding of yourself, and find answers to your problems. I want to offer affordable therapy to as wide a range of people as possible.
You are most likely here looking for a therapist because you are struggling with life in some way at the moment. it maybe that you are trying to deal with:
- Depression and feelings of unhappiness
- Anxiety, stress or panic-attacks
- Alcohol and drug use
- Bereavement and loss
- Relationship problems
- Questions surrounding your Identity: Who am I?
If these problems sound familiar, I can work with you to alleviate some of the negative feelings, and to help you to explore and accept yourself.
Finding a therapist can be an overwhelming task as there are many to choose from. In order to help with your decision, I offer the first session for free so that you can come and meet me, and see if you want to work with me.
I see people for therapy in the traditional therapy room, and also in the outdoors, known as Ecotherapy. So rather than sitting in a therapy room, we can get out onto the moors or the woods for our sessions. Nature offers a more neutral, and relaxed space to explore yourself, and can be a key element in therapeutic change. This may involve simply sitting on a grassy bank or fallen tree for our sessions, or you may want to walk and talk. The way you choose to engage in the outdoors for our sessions is up to you. I also have an indoor space if the weather is not looking too good!
The Person-Centred Approach
The way that I work (The Person-Centred Approach) aims to provide a positive relationship where you can explore personal and painful issues and emotions, without being judged.
- This means that I will be myself in the session, as opposed to trying to be an expert on your life
- It focuses on having a healing relationship with the client
- It enables a you to move towards being who you wants to be, rather than how you should be according to your family, friends, and/or society.
Please go to my website for a more in-depth explanation of my work, and to read my blog: www.lukebarbourcounselling.com/blog
Training, qualifications & experience
I have worked with people for the past eleven years on a variety of issues, and from a variety of backgrounds. Underlying many issues are feelings of unhappiness, stress or anxiety. It is these feelings which often lead people to seek help.
I have worked extensively at Addiction Dependency Solutions (ADS) with clients who have issues around alcohol and/or drug use, and for the various problems in their lives which alcohol and drugs are used to mask. This work often involves working with the client to reduce or stop their alcohol/drug use via practical strategies (using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), while also focusing on the underlying issues for their substance use.
I have worked with clients with severe and enduring mental health difficulties in the NHS and Wigan Children’s Social Services. This has been on both on psychiatric wards and in the community. These people have been given a diagnosis of, for example, depression, bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia.
I have been in private practice for five years now. Often, my work with people includes issues surrounding relationships, such as with a partner, children or family.
- ABC accredited Level 4 Diploma in the Theory and Practice of Counselling
- ABC accredited Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Diploma in Person-centred Counselling accredited by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- BSc Hons. in Psychology from The University of Manchester
- Member of the British Association for Counselling an Psychotherapy (MBACP).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship issues
So as to give people the opportunity to make an informed choice about whether the counselling approach I use is going to suit them, the first session is free of charge. After that, I agree the price with the client within the fee brackets set out below.
First session: Free
Subsequent sessions: £25 - £40
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:30am - 7:30pm
Types of client