As a qualified Solution Focused and Human Givens Psychotherapist with several years experience working for the Specialist Services team at Hertfordshire County Council (where I am currently still employed), my objective is that you leave every session feeling more hopeful about the future and more empowered and confident to take control of your life for yourself.
My area of expertise is in supporting young people aged 11-19 (and up to 25 with additional needs) and I have a particular strength in connecting with young people who have not engaged well with other services. I am also experienced in working with adults and working with couple and families.
What is Solution Focused Brief Therapy?
This approach has proved to be very successful in helping people to effect positive changes in their life by:
- Focusing on the individuals preferred future not problems
- Looking for resources rather than deficits
- Exploring what is already contributing to those futures
Those accessing this support often experience a wide range of issues affecting their lives which may include: anxiety / panic attacks; depression; anger; addiction; relationship difficulties; bereavement/loss; self harm; trauma; bullying / harassment; identity issues.
As the therapist, my role is to support you to think through the changes you want to make and how to achieve them.
Why Choose Solution Focused Brief Therapy?
- Future focused - people who have had involvement with many other services are often willing to try SFBT because it is a different approach which does not focus only on the past and problems.
- Strengths oriented - helping people to identify and access their own resources creating empowerment rather than dependency.
- Cost efficient and more focused use of time 69% of clients require 1-5 sessions and 91% need less than 10 sessions (in a recent evaluation of the work with my clients in Hertfordshire).
- Ease of access - reduced waiting lists and direct contact with a therapist.
- Flexible Service to meet the needs of the individual.
- Use of Core-10 assessment - a measure of psychological distress which enables progress to be captured from the perspective of the client. Academically validated and the most widely used tool the UK.
In addition, the Human Givens approach provides a basis for identifying your unmet emotional needs and a platform to develop your understanding of what you need to be emotionally healthy. There are many practical skills that can be applied to help you regain a sense of control in your life and an understanding of the psychology around emotional well-being.
Training, qualifications & experience
My qualifications include:
- Diploma in Solution Focused Practice (BRIEF, London).
- Human Givens Psychotherapy Diploma (Mindfields College).
- Advice & Guidance, NVQ Level 4 (Herts Careers Service).
- Psychology BSc (Hons) 2:1 (University of Birmingham).
In addition, I am trained in Safeguarding/Child Protection practices and am a member of the Human Givens Institute, UK Association for Solution Focused Practice and European Therapy Studies Institute following their code of professional conduct and ethics policies. In line with their requirements I attend regular clinical supervision and training contributing to my continuing professional development and to keep up to date in the field. This ensures that you receive support that is quality assured.
I also hold a full enhanced CRB check and a DBS as well as full Professional Indemnity insurance.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work related stress
One-to-one sessions can take place weekly or bi-weekly according to need.
- Priced at £45 per hour for an individual, £60 for a couple/family and the first session is free.
Other services available include group work covering a variety of topics and training relevant to those working in social care, education and health both within the statutory and voluntary sectors.
Please see my website for testimonials from both client's and those who have referred to my service.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|