Lorraine Shearing MBACP DipHE
Before becoming a counsellor I was a British and
International swimmer competing in Elite competitions across the World. I also served as a firefighter for twelve years within Essex County Fire and Rescue Service.
Having been involved in situations of high trauma I understand how important it is to look after our mental health and how as a society the stigma of mental illness still persists. Seeking help for psychological issues is an essential element in our overall wellbeing, one that counselling plays a supporting role in.
One that can be life changing with the right counsellor.
I am passionate about empowering people and providing them with the tools and skills to achieve a healthier outlook on life.
In modern society, too commonly the approach to challenging events is to suppress emotions.
I look to create an environment where these suppressed emotions can be shared in a safe, non-judgemental and confidential setting to allow the individual to process, understand and accept their responses.
I offer one to one counselling on a short term, or long term basis.
I am integratively trained which means I understand and utilise aspects of different counselling approaches such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Psychodynamic and Person centred therapy. All of these modalities can be used within counselling sessions and I work keeping a foundation of person centred theory. I will listen and support you, offering empathy without judgement and let you decide what is best for you, whilst empowering you to improve your mental health.
Memberships and Insurances...
I am a member of the BACP and abide by their code of ethics and practices. Details about this and counselling theories can be found on their website. www.bacp.co.uk
I have regular supervision as is required by law, with a highly qualified supervisor. This ensures I am working safely and ethically.
I am fully insured and have an up to date enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate (DBS).
I also work at the Jubilee Centre within Southend Mind.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Level 2 Diploma in Counselling skills
- Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Mental health training
- PTSD symptomatic study
- Workplace safety
- Mindfulness certificate
- Working with elite athletes who have performance related anxieties and rehabilitation issues.
- ASA level 2 swimming instructor
- ASA level 1 coaching certificate
- I can incorporate fitness and counselling.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- £30 for therapeutic hour (50mins) session within Westcliff location
- £40 for therapeutic hour (50mins)session at Southend location.
- Sliding scale for clients in receipt of benefits.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client