Dr Lorraine Maher-Edwards, Psych D
I am a qualified psychologist who works part time for NHS. I am a trained cognitive behaviour therapist (CBT), mindfulness teacher and acceptance and commitment therapist (ACT). I have a special interest in working with people who have difficulties with anxiety, depression and long term physical health conditions. I am experienced in both one to one and group work and can provide specialist supervision.
My approach is to work collaboratively with you to empower you to live a full and meaningful life. We will work to find creative and workable ways to relate to your difficulties that enable you to move forward in your life.
I can provide one to one therapy face to face or by Skype. I also offer one to one mindfulness sessions.
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained as a counselling psychologist in University East London and have been working for the NHS for 12 years. During this time, I have worked in a range of settings including working with people with a range of emotional difficulties such as
- anxiety (including generalised anxiety disorders, panic disorder, OCD, phobias, social anxiety, procrastination)
- depression (feeling low or sad)
- low self-esteem (lack of confidence)
- sexual difficulties
- weight management issues
- relationship difficulties.
I also have many years experience in a range of physical health settings including
- ME/ chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME),
- multiple sclerosis,
- chronic pain
- speech difficulties (stammering)
I currently have a senior role in a chronic pain service. I have extensive training in CBT, acceptance and commitment therapy and I have qualification and training in teaching mindfulness both one to one and in groups.
I can provide one to one therapy therapy tailored to your needs in a cosy environment. Living with a physical or emotional difficulty is hard and I will provide you with skills to understand these difficulties and make the necessary changes in your life to help you to move forward in the ways that matter to you. These skills might include ways to stand back from difficult thoughts, carve your chosen life path and find motivation and commitment to follow through on your values and goals. I may also teach you mindfulness skills as a way to navigate the ups and downs of life and be present and open to all that life has to offer.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Drug abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Long term physical health conditions
- Chronic pain and related conditions such as fibromyalgia
- Speech disfluency/stammering
- An initial consultation is at a reduced rate of £50 and allows us to meet and decide if we wish to work together.
- Sessions thereafter at £80 per session if self-paying or £110 if insurance-company sponsored.
- Therapy is available via Skype.
To find out more about me please visit my webpage at www.livingwellpsychology.co.uk or call for a confidential chat.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer flexible appointment times.
Supervision & training
I offer specialist supervision in person or by Skype.View supervision profile