Leyla Swan BSc (Hons), MBACP Accredited
01444 461684 / 07949 822154
I am a British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) accredited Integrative Psychotherapist/Counsellor based in Horsham, West Sussex and I welcome clients from the surrounding areas including, Crawley, Billingshurst, Cowfold and Southwater. I have 17 years experience and as well as working in private practice I am currently working within the NHS as a Psychological Therapist in primary care. I offer time limited and longer term therapy.
I also hold a (BACP) Certificate of Proficiency and I work strictly within the BACP ethical framework. You'll find me on the BACP register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
I combine the theories from various approaches within psychotherapy which include; Psychodynamic, Person Centred and Existential theory as well as offering Brief Solution Focused Therapy and C.B.T techniques, I am therefore not bound by any one particular philosophy.
As every individual and their experiences are unique, no single counselling philosophy can work for everyone. Theoretical integration enables me to apply the theories I believe may work best in meeting clients’ needs within the therapy sessions.
I will provide a safe and confidential environment for you to talk freely about the issues that brought you to counselling and I will support you in exploring and gaining a better understanding of any issues that may be preventing you from leading a satisfying and resourceful life.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc (Hons) Integrative Counselling
- Cert Counselling and listening skills
- Bereavement Care training
- NHS Assessing Suicide Risk in individuals with Depression
- NHS Training in Time Limited Counselling
- NHS Training In Childhood Trauma
- NHS Stop Smoking Advisor
- NHS Training in Working with The Body
- NHS Training in Understanding Neuroscience
- Relational Couples Counselling Training
- Personality disorder training
- Training in Brief Solution Focussed Therapy
- Training in an Introduction to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Coaching The Babyboomer Generation Training
- Weight management and nutrition
- MEND theory leader for community child obesity Programmes.
- Accredited Family Group Conference Co-ordinator for Daybreak
- Level 3 REP’s Registered Fitness instructor/ GP Exercise Referral Consultant
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Exercise addiction
- Anger Management
- Childhood trauma
- Over eating
- Obesity and weight related issues
- Stop Smoking Advisor
- Family Group Conference Facilitation and mediation
Initial consultation is free of charge.
Individuals £40-£50 (per 50 mins session)
Family conference/counselling £60 (per 1 hour session)
Concessions may be negotiable for students and for those on a low income.
I began my counselling career over 17 years ago working for HM Prison Service where I provided post incident support to members of staff. Since then I have gone on to gain a BSc in Integrative Counselling at Roehampton University. As well as working as a Psychotherapist/Counsellor in private practice, I also work as an NHS Psychological Therapist in primary care. I have extensive and varied experience particularly in the areas of childhood trauma and how this may present in the body through illness or physical pain, anger, depression and anxiety. I am also an NHS trained Stop Smoking Adviser qualified to advise and support individuals wishing to give up smoking.
I am also an independent accredited Family Group Conference Coordinator helping families develop personal care plans for children at risk. I work in partnership with families, social services and other professional agencies. This may involve identifying support for lone parents with alcohol or substance misuse, domestic violence, offending or potential offending behaviour of a child or young person or problems with school attendance or behaviour.
Having also had over 17 years experience within the fitness industry. I have found that combining my counselling and coaching skills has proved successful in supporting clients with weight and self image related issues. This led to my involvement with community based obesity programmes, educating adults and children about healthy eating and active lifestyle change. I have also developed and presented my own workshops for adults who struggle with their weight.
Although I am no longer involved in any community based projects I still like to keep fit and enjoy teaching fitness classes several times per week.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client