Kim Bowers MBACP (Accredited member of BACP)
18 Park Lane
- Please note: Full at present In London, limited spaces in Newmarket.
If you have emailed me and not received a reply in 48 hours please contact me again as some emails have got lost in the past!!
Please state the location you are seeking therapy in when emailing, thank you.
Hello and welcome!
We all have our stories, they can have many chapters, these create the book of our life.
You will find yourself here as you or someone you know will be feeling overwhelmed or certainly challenged by life.
I work in Newmarket and Rotherhithe, London, helping people to understand their story and overcome obstacles that may have become barriers in life.
I bring 16 years professional experience, and a wealth of personal experience of the challenges of being human into the therapeutic relationship, with this depth of understanding l am empathic, non judgemental, compassionate and insightful into how l hear and respond to your story.
People seek therapy for many different reasons such as: a crises or situation which may be old or just recently happened or feeling overwhelmed, anxious or depressed, stuck and/or dissatisfied, disengaged with life and unable to move onto another chapter in life.It may be that your suffering with obsessive thoughts or low self-esteem.
These thoughts and feelings can become difficult, uncomfortable and may feel like your carrying around baggage or feel weighty- this can feel physical.
These stories can affect relationships or you may find it hard to have positive relationships. This often is due past experience and stories or old ways of relating that you are unable to move out of because it still causes you pain, anger or distress. It may be that you don’t understand why you feel the way you do or that the feeling has crept up on you without any warning.
Feelings and stories are very powerful and life is full of challenges for us human beings, it can be hard to detach from them at times. WIthout someone to share our inner experiences with life can become very isolating.
When we're feeling overwhelmed and vulnerable often the need for protection arises. This can present itself in the need to keep others out, and keep yourself 'in' and not share the stories that can go round in the mind. This can be through fear of being judged or ridiculed, or the fear that you will be rejected if others truly know the real you. It may be hard to hear yourself tell your story and your not sure what will follow.
I work with a gentle yet dynamic and engaging approach, helping you to understand how you think, feel and respond in particular situations and in relationships and why. Together, in a relaxed safe environment, we create the space to explore the obstacles that are causing you difficulties, helping you to gain insight, and enabling you to take control of the relationships and circumstances in your life.
A successful counselling relationship is based on:
- Mutual respect and building trust
- Mutual appreciation of the importance of the relationship
- An understanding that gaining a positive outcome may involve working through pain and resistance
Training, qualifications & experience
I completed my training in 1998. Intially l worked as part of the student welfare counselling team,within a higher education setting supporting students with a broad range of age, backgrounds and challenges who came to use the service. I have been in private practice for 16 years.
- Diploma in Person-Centred/Psychodynamic Counselling
- Post Diploma in Counselling
- Accredited Member of BACP (British Association Counsellors & Psychotherapists)
- Certificate in Couples Counselling
- Transpersonal Workshops: working creatively with the many aspects within ourselves.
- lnner Child Work : There can be the you who is in the world and a you that does not feel so adult. This can be through arrest of development as a child, through trauma, memories of 'back there' you are unable to move away from or have got stuck.
- Body and Soma: Working with trauma or strong emotions that are held in the body.
- Working creatively using a wide range of visualisations and various techniques.
- Using Mindfulness to develop and enhance body awareness of how stress and emotions sit within the body and using these tools to help reduce stress, anxiety and manage emotions.
- Working with Attachment: The attachment we form as babies with our care givers is the most significant one, it teaches us about relationships. Depending on what the attachment will determine how you attach to further relationships when becoming adult; these may be difficult if the attachment has been difficult, it can be hard to trust others.We work gently within our attachment to develop something different, and therefore work together to begin to gain trust and understanding of how a different relationship can begin. Once you start to get an experience of something different relationships outside the therapeutic space start to change.
- I am committed to ongoing continual professional development and l attend various training and workshops.
- A commitment to my own on going personal journey and inner development.
- In my background l have worked with families and parents and have a depth of understanding both personal and professional of the emotional challenges of parenting, and of being new parent and the emotions, challenges and struggles which can arise from this. The first year of having a child can be the most challenging for a new parent, this can be because of your past, lack of support both physically and emotionally or because of post natal depression. Together we would work to gain understanding and develop coping stratergies to build upon and enhance the relationship with your baby.
- Previously l also worked advocating and supporting families where mental health has had an impact on their lives.This work led me to work with a wide range of people from different ethnic, social, economic and cultural backgrounds and has given me a greater understanding of human condition and cultural and emotional differences and stresses and strains that impact on individuals and therefore on their relationships and their families.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
Sessions are 50 minutes long and my fees are:
£45 Newmarket one to one
£50 London one to one
£60 for Newmarket Couples
£70 for London Couples
Payment by cash or cheque only after each appointment Please there is no cash machine.
l review my fees annually and due to this are subject to change.
These will be discussed and negotiated within the therapy if/when appropriate.
Location in London:
SE16 ilocation a 10 minute walk or 4 minute bus ride from the B1 platform at Canada Water bus station on the C10 or 381 in direction of Waterloo or Victoria,
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Wednesday in Newmarket 8-7.30. Thursday and Friday in London 10-7.30
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|