Dr Kelly Young; Chartered Psychologist, Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist
The York Clinic
296 Tadcaster Road
01904 709688 / 07471 960490
I am a Chartered Counselling Psychologist and Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist, providing psychotherapy and counselling in the centre of York.
I don't just listen – I will work with you to help you overcome the difficulties you are facing. My aim is to help you devise helpful coping strategies in order to manage your difficulties on a daily basis and to teach you the skills to enable you to become your own therapist beyond the therapy.
I offer short and long term evidence based therapy and I am trained in a number of different approaches. I strongly believe that every individual is unique which means that I tailor therapy to suit your needs and most importantly provide a safe, confidential and non-judgemental space for you to explore your difficulties and make the changes you wish to make.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
I have specialist training and experience in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). CBT is evidence based and has been shown to be an effective way of treating a number of different mental health conditions. The National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) recommends CBT to help people with:
- Panic Disorder (Panic Attacks)
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder (Excessive Worrying)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Sleep problems, such as insomnia
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) explores how our thoughts, feelings, physical sensations and behaviours are connected and what maintains our difficulties. Understanding our difficulties in this way can help us break these repeated patterns and vicious cycles and help you manage your problems by changing the way you think and behave.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a registered Counselling Psychologist with the Healthcare Professions Council (HCPC). This is the legal governing body that ensures excellence in the training and practise of psychology. Psychology is the only legally governed therapeutic talking profession and ensures you can be confident in the training and experience your therapist has.
I am also a Chartered Psychologist with the British Psychological Society (BPS) and Accredited with the BABCP as a Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist.
I have experience of working therapeutically with individuals, both in the NHS and private settings, integrating a range of different therapies.
My Professional Qualifications:
- Doctorate in Counselling Psychology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology
- BSc Honours Degree in Applied Psychology
- British Psychological Society (BPS) - Chartered Counselling Psychologis
- Health and Social Care Professionals Council (HCPC) - Registered Psychologist
- British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) - Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I specialise in treating people with Anxiety Disorders (Anxiety, Worry, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder) Depression and low self esteem.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
Appointments cost £60 per hour and can be paid session by session or in advance.
What Happens Next?
If you would like to take that first brave step and discuss how therapy with me might be able to help you, please call or email me with any queries.
From there, we can arrange to meet where we will discuss the problem, work together to understand it, set some goals for therapy and think about what steps we need to take for you to achieve them.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evenings during the week and Saturdays 9-2
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|