Katherine Grogan (BSc Integrative Psychotherapeutic Counselling)
I offer short and long term individual counselling and am experienced in working with adults, young people and children. I am an integrative counsellor, so draw on a range of theories to help me work with you in a way that is useful for you. I aim to be gentle, empathic and non-judgemental - to work at your pace and in a way that helps you to explore and address the things that are causing you distress or unease.Therapeutic work may combine exploring issues from the past alongside issues in the present as well as using our therapeutic relationship to explore your relationships with yourself, with others and in the world.
In addition to my counselling qualifications I hold a post graduate diploma in systemic theory so am interested in the context of relationships and how these impact you. I am also an experienced music therapist, and am able to integrate music, play, sand-tray and other creative mediums into the work if appropriate. This is especially useful for therapeutic work with children or people who, for whatever reason, find non-verbal mediums more accessible than talking, but is available for everyone. I offer a free initial appointment where we can discuss your needs and make a joint decision about how to proceed.
Special areas of interest anxiety, problems with relationships, substance misuse, working with children and family issues.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post graduate diploma in music therapy. I am HCPC registered and have over 20 years experience working with adults with learning disabilities and children and young people with a range of difficulties including autism, profound and multiple disabilities and emotional and behavioural issues. For many years I worked for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services and currently work with adults and children with life limiting illness and their families within a hospice, in schools and in private practice.
- BSc degree in Psychotherapeutic Integrative Counselling. I have a private practice based at home and also work in schools with children with a range of issues including those recovering from domestic abuse, those living with life limiting illness, problems with anxiety, depression and childhood trauma. I also work for a local charity with adults, children and families affected by addiction. I am currently working toward accreditation with UKCP which is my professional organisation.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- childhood trauma
- parent/ child relationship
- relationship difficulties
- panic attacks
My normal fee is £40 - negotiable depending on location and the individual circumstances of each client.
My counselling room is on the ground floor.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
By appointment. Day time only appointments currently available.
Types of client