Kate Shelley, Postgrad Dilpoma Counselling - CBT, MBACP
Hello, I’m Kate and I am a qualified Cognitive Behavioural Therapist & Counsellor. I offer Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for a broad range of issues. I recognise that everyone is an individual and that one size doesn’t fit all so I can also offer a counselling approach to suit the individual. I also have training in person centred counselling and can work integratively (combining different approaches) as required. I work in a professional manner and closely follow the BACP ethical framework. I am a registered member of BACP (British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy) where I am also registered on their 'find a therapist' directory' and I am a member of BABCP (British Association of Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies).
What I Offer:
I see clients with a broad range of issues and life situations: for example: Anxiety Disorders including panic attacks, phobias & OCD, Stress, Depression, Trauma & PTSD, Low self esteem, sleep problems, Work stresses and other issues. I offer sessions in a confidential, empathetic, non-judgemental, supportive environment where we can safely explore your issues and collaboratively work towards developing coping strategies and solutions to your problems.
I offer one to one Therapy/Counselling for young adults 18+ & Adults – please note that I don’t see couples and families. I offer short term and long term sessions - we usually review at 6 sessions and can then decide how many more are needed.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is a practical and empowering therapy focusing upon the present (whilst recognising that the past is part of who we are) and looking at recognising unhelpful thinking and behaviour patterns that we can get caught up in and that can begin to dominate our lives. CBT techniques can help to deal with these unhelpful thoughts and behaviours, look at making changes and working towards goals - empowering you to develop strategies and coping tools which can help to manage your problems and make the most of your life.
CBT is an evidence based talking therapy. it is recommended by NICE (National institute of Clinical Excellence) Guidelines and is the form of therapy commonly offered within the NHS. Research has shown that CBT is effective for a wide range of problems.
I also accept referrals from Insurance companies, GP Practices, EAP, Self referrals, Health Insurance, Students in training who require Personal Therapy for their course- all welcome.
I have warm and comfortable therapy rooms in the centre of Aberystwyth, Carmarthen and Shrewsbury. All venues have convenient parking nearby and the Aberystwyth venue provides disabled access.
I charge £35.00 per session (1 hour) and £25.00 for students.
I require 48 hours notice of cancellation and charge £35.00 if it is less than 48 hours as I would still need to pay for my room and I miss a potential booking with another client on my waiting list.
Please feel free to email or phone if you have further questions I could help you with.
I look forward to meeting you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Postgraduate Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling – Cognitive Behavioural
(University of South Wales)(BACP Accredited course)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (University of Birmingham) (Person Centred)(BACP Accredited course)
- Introduction to Counselling Skills (University of Birmingham)
Training Courses & Conferences:
June 2016 - PTSD & Trauma Workshop - Dr. Nick Grey - BABCP CPD
April 2016 - Social Anxiety & Panic Disorder Workshop - Dr. Nick Grey - BABCP CPD Bangor University
July 2015 – Assist Training (Applied Suicide Interventions Skills Training) Aberystwyth University
June 2015 – Mental Health First Aid - – Aberystwyth University
June 2015 - Transgender Awareness for Employers and Service Providers: Training Modules 1, 2 and 3 (GIRES)
May 2015 – Student Health Association Conference – Exeter University:
Fresh Approached to eating Disorders - Dr. Clare Short, The Drama Triangle & Five Agreements - Dr. Andrew Tressider, Autism Spectrum Disorders - Dr. Ian Ensum
March 2015 – Mindfulness Workshop (Aberystwyth University)
Feb 2015 – Equality & Diversity Training (Aberystwyth University)
Feb 2015 – CBT Training Day – Dr Frank Wills (CBT Therapist)
Jan 2015 – Positive Psychology Training day – Professor Neil Frude (Clinical Psychologist)
September 2014 – Crisis Worker Training – Mid Wales Rape Support Centre
August 2014 – H.I.V. & Viral Hepatitis Awareness – Terence Higgins Trust
August 2014 – Telephone Counselling Training (1 Day) MWRSC
April 2014 - June 2014 – Mid Wales Rape Support Centre Foundation Training Course
June 2013 – Practitioner Training (1 Day) – Public Health – NHS – Hywel Dda Health Board
April 2014 – CBT Training Day – Dr Frank Wills (CBT Therapist)
September 2013 (1 Day) – Health Impact Assessment – Public Health – NHS
October 2013 (1 day)– Coaching training day – NHS
December 2012 - Alcohol Brief Intervention – Hywel Dda Health Board
July 2012 – Supporting young People with Mental Health Issues (CAMHS – Hywel Dda Health Board)
Nov 2012 - POVA training – NHS
June 2009 – Supporting young victims of Crime – Victim Support
Jan - March 2002 (3 months)– Saneline training – Royal College of Psychiatrists
In addition to my Private Practice work I have experience in the voluntary sector working as a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist at Mind Aberystwyth since 2013 and as a Counsellor at Mid Wales Rape support Centre offering counselling for PTSD.
I also have recent experience of working in a University setting as a Wellbeing Adviser.
I am committed to continuing professional development and regularly attend courses and workshops relevant to my profession.
Membership of Professional Bodies:
- MBACP Registered Member: Register no. 577558- I am currently working towards accreditation
- BABCP member no. 140115 - I am currently working towards accreditation
I am fully insured with Professional Liability Insurance
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- £35.00 for 1 hour = Initial consultation to discuss Counselling/Therapy and what would be best for you and see if you would like to work with me, you are under no obligation to continue if you do not feel that this is what you want.
- £35.00 for 1 hour ongoing sessions. Students fee is £25.00 per hour and counselling students requiring personal therapy for their training are £25.00 per hour.
- Fees are paid by cash at the time of appointment. Appointments are usually weekly or fortnightly and we can agree the proposed number of sessions required when we meet.
- I require 48 hours notice of cancellation and charge £35.00 if it is less than 48 hours as I would still need to pay for my room and I miss a potential booking with another client on my waiting list.
- I accept Self referrals, GP & Company Referrals, Health Insurance, Student Personal Therapy - all welcome.
- I offer Therapy/Counselling in the centre of Aberystwyth, Carmarthen & Shrewsbury
Contact details: Please phone or email me and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays and Saturday Mornings
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|