Karys Varker, MSc Psychology, BSc Psychology, Dip. Couns, MBACP
The Exeter Mind and Body Clinic
Do you feel that you could benefit from talking to someone in a confidential and safe environment? Are you feeling alone with what you’re experiencing, and would you like to be listened to in a manner free from judgement and opinions? If you’re currently experiencing distress, the repercussions of something that has occurred in the past, or would like to discuss future options or decisions which are on your mind, then I may be able to help you.
My name is Karys Varker and I'm a qualified Integrative counsellor offering counselling to individuals in the heart of Exeter. I will work with you in a collaborative manner so that through therapeutic discussion you are able to discover the underlying issues, emotions, and triggers that are contributing to your psychological distress. My aim is to support you in finding the answers you need to help you to increase your overall wellbeing, bring about positive changes and gain a greater sense of control in your life, through the development of specific coping mechanisms and gaining a greater self-awareness of who you are.
I work in a calm, gentle and sensitive manner in a quiet location in Exeter city centre that offers a safe space in which you can freely discuss the difficulties and challenges that you are facing in your life confidentially and securely. No issue is too big or too small and my aim is to offer you support, warmth and respect and work with you at your own desired pace.
Also, as I work as an Integrative Counsellor I'm able to draw on different techniques and exercises from a range of counselling, psychotherapy, and psychological theories in order to tailor the counselling to your own individual needs to help you to achieve your goals and desires. I also feel that my experience of working in a psychological setting adds an additional dynamic to our work together as I have acquired further knowledge surrounding mental health issues, relationship types and patterns, and attachment styles, which may allow for a deeper awareness of the issues that you are experiencing.
The Issues I work with:
I work with adults, and adolescents and I also specialise in working with students at school, college, university, and individuals undertaking their counselling training.
I am experienced in working with a range of issues including:
- Relationship issues
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorders
- Life stresses
- Eating disorders
- Being a carer
- Family issues
This list is not exhaustive and a more extensive list of the issues that I'm able to help you with can be seen below. However, if the issue that you’re experiencing isn’t listed below then please contact me as I may still be able to help you.
In addition to working as an integrative counsellor with my own private practice in Exeter City Centre I also:
- have 3 years’ experience of working as a counsellor for Counselling for Carers which is a counselling service that offers low cost counselling to adult carers in Devon.
- I work as a client assessor for Counselling for Carers where I assess carers and allocate counsellors to them who will best suit their needs.
- I have the responsibility of Coordinating a team of volunteer counsellors working for a counselling service in Exeter
- I am a fully insured individual member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and therefore I work within the guidelines of the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice which you can view here: http://www.bacp.co.uk/ethical_framework/
- I come from a psychological background whereby I have conducted research into the workings of the mind, human emotion, and the psychology of human relationships
- I have experience as a counselling client myself
- I continuously engage in training and professional and personal development so that I am able to offer the highest level of service to you that I can
Training, qualifications & experience
Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
Level 3 Award in Counselling Skills
MSc Social and Organisational Psychology
BSc (Hons) Psychology
Currently studying for my BACP Certificate of Proficiency
Currently studying for my Certificate in Transactional Analysis
Continued Professional Development Training
An Introduction to Trauma
Working Therapeutically with Adolescents and Young Adults
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
I offer individual counselling on both a short-term and long-term basis and evening and weekend counselling sessions are also available.
Each 50 minute counselling session costs £35.
Also, as I believe that counselling should be available to all I have limited reduced price counselling sessions available to students and individuals with financial constraints which can be discussed.
Thank you for taking the time to visit my profile. If you have any questions then please do not hesitate to contact me by email, phone, or leave me an answerphone or text message and I’ll endeavour to contact you as soon as possible.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evening and weekend sessions are also available.
Types of client