Karole J Thomas BSc.Hons; MA; MBACP(Accred)
Labyrinth Business Centre
43-47 Middle Hillgate
I am an experienced, fully accredited and ethical counsellor. I have worked as a professional practitioner and manager in health (NHS) and social care for more than 20 years and have practised life coaching, counselling and psychotherapy for 5 of those years.
Counselling, psychotherapy and life coaching are 'talking treatments' and are designed to support people who want to make changes in their lives. People access counselling for a wide range of reasons including: anger management; stress; anxiety; depression; post traumatic stress; obsessive compulsive disorders; bereavement; addictions;abuse and low self esteem amongst many others. As a counsellor I aim to support you, the client, in understanding and resolving those past or present difficulties where they are impacting negatively on your day to day living. Counselling offers you a physical and psychological space to reflect on circumstances and develop the ability to move on by making healthy choices.
As an integrative practitioner I work with you to assess those problems/issues you are experiencing. I then draw from a range of different theories and practice with the aim of tailoring my approach to one which best suits your unique individual needs and circumstances. For instance, I might use cognitive/behavioural approaches for life-coaching or other issues such as post traumatic stress disorder or workplace stress. If you are struggling to move on from childhood issues, I could use schema therapy or psychotherapeutic approaches to explore the situation with you and help you to move on. If you are experiencing anxiety or panic, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) offers an effective approach for symptom reduction. I aim to use approaches and techniques which have been proven by research to be effective.
I provide a safe, confidential, and supportive environment for my clients. I offer a responsive and professional service and am guided in my practice by the ethical framework of the counselling body British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) with whom I am an accredited member. I am fully and comprehensively insured.
The number of sessions required varies and depends on the nature of the problem you bring and the rate of progress in therapy. The number of sessions can range from around 4- 6 up to 18+ but this is always reviewed and agreed with you. Generally session length is 50-60 minutes once a week or fortnight. Length and frequency can be varied if deemed necessary.
My practice is conveniently placed in Stockport and is within easy walking distance (5-10 minutes) of the train and bus stations.
It is important you build a trusting relationship with your counsellor as this is key to getting the most out of counselling. I offer an initial free half hour session with the aim of enabling you to make contact and meet me, discuss what you want from therapy and decide whether I am the therapist for you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BACP Registered Independent Counsellor & Psychotherapist since 2010
- Accredited Member of British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy since 2010
- MA Counselling Studies (with merit). Manchester University (UK) 2009
- Diploma in Counselling. Manchester University (UK) 2008
- Certificate in Counselling Skills. Stockport College of Further Education 2006
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) Registered (current)
- Certificate of Qualification in Social Work (CQSW). Liverpool University 1985
- Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Social Studies. Liverpool University 1985
- Postgraduate Diploma in Social Administration. Manchester University 1983
- Upper second BSc. Hons Physiology. Manchester University 1982
I have undertaken a significant amount of training during my professional career including: mental health problems and legislation; mental capacity; working with dementia; bereavement; child care and protection; learning disabilities; physical and sensory disabilities; addictions etc.
I have worked as a social worker/ manager in a wide variety of settings including hospitals, community based work, primary care practices, hospice and a primary care NHS trust (PCT). I have been a past chair for a local voluntary organisation MIND. I have worked on a community mental health team supporting people with mental health issues to remain in the community . I have provided counselling within the NHS and the voluntary sector on a paid/sessional basis. I have established myself and been in independent counselling practice since 2010.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- I am very practised in working with carers and supporting them in their role
- Extensive experience working with older people and support for individuals with dementia and their carers
- Life coaching and personal growth and development
- Dealing with issues of guilt and shame
- Experienced in personality disorder and using dialectical behaviour therapy and schema therapy
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
Initial half hour session free of charge
£45.00 per 60 minutes face to face counselling during daytime hours (9.00 am to 5.00pm) and £50.00 per hour for sessions starting at 6.00 pm or later and Saturday mornings.
I am registered with Aviva Health (private health insurance company) to provide counselling and psychotherapy
Reduced cost therapy (daytime sessions only) available to individuals on low income by negotiation
Daytime and evening sessions available
As a fully accredited member of BACP I aim to keep up to date with best practice. I receive regular supervision (your issues remain confidential) to review my work on an ongoing basis. I also attend training events to enhance my counselling skills
I value and enjoy working with individuals on a varied range of issues from workplace issues to mental illness. I believe that beneficial therapy comes from establishing a close working alliance or partnership with each person as a unique and valued individual.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays 9.00a.m. - 8.30p.m & Saturday Mornings
Types of client