Karen M Williams MBACP, MCOSRT
Bangor & Caernarfon
Sir Ynys Mon
07787 803 012 / 07787 803 012
I am a qualified Integrative Counsellor, CBT Psychosexual / Sex Therapist and an Integrative Clinical Supervisor based in North West Wales. I work with people in all kinds of relationships, as well as individuals and young people. As an integrative therapist, I use skills and techniques from different therapeutic orientations, combining these as necessary, depending on what is needed by you. For example, psychosexual therapy uses CBT to help people overcome their sexual problems. (I am a Relate trained couple counsellor and sex therapist.)
As I believe that each individual is unique, my integrative training enables me to be responsive to your individual needs. My belief in the human capacity for change; working collaboratively with you, enables you to recognise and make the most of you own skills and abilities.
I work with individuals and couples who have different reasons why they might want to enter into therapy. For example, relationship issues (of any kind), grief and loss, anxiety, depression, phobias, abuse: sexual, physical or emotional, parenting (also for separating parents), pain and illness, addictions, sexuality or sexual problems.
'Walk' and Talk Therapy - North West Wales:
As well as working indoors there is the option of working outdoors in natural spaces. 'Walk' and Talk Therapy - North West Wales' is just as it sounds. The first appointment will take place indoors and then during Day 2 and 3 we will spend between 1 - 1.5 hours outdoors in the beautiful North West Wales countryside. With some routes being disabled-accessible, everyone can work through their struggles in a more relaxing environment.
Being in nature can be meditative and grounding. Research studies have shown it is increasingly apparent that walking, or being outdoors, is not only good for your physical health, but it is also good for your mental health and has also been shown to reduce levels of depression and anxiety. You may prefer a meditative, relaxing session or a more active, fast-paced session, what ever your pace, I will work with you.
Specialist knowledge & experience:
I am experienced working with males and females, of any gender or sexuality; who are experiencing difficulties with any kind of relationship and / or their intimate/sexual relationship.
I also work with clients who present with symptoms of abuse; the co-existing symptoms and/or disorders that can often develop as a result of trauma: both from childhood and adult life.
In my private practice, I also work clinically with sex offenders and those at risk of offending, as I believe that offering specialist treatment for this population not only assists in the management and reduction of risk, but also contributes to the ultimate ideal of reducing the prevalence of sexual violence on adults or children.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Postgraduate Certificate in Relationship Therapy - Psychosexual Therapy (University of Hull)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling (Bangor University)
- Qualified Relate Counsellor (Relate Institute)
- Certificate of Credit - Principles of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (University of the West of England, Bristol)
- Diploma (PGDip level) in Integrative Supervision of Individuals and Groups
- Mental Health and Couples (Relate Institute)
- Psychosexual Master Class
- Living with Sexuality and Cancer (Prostrate Cancer UK)
- Sexual Minorities (Dominic Davies)
- Sexual Health awareness (Relate Cymru)
- Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse (Relate Institute)
- Working therapeutically with victims of sexual violence (Rape & Sexual Abuse Support Centre - North Wales.)
- Working with victims of Sexual Violence - 4 day course (New Pathways)
- Parenting for Separated Parents - trainer training ( Relate Cymru)
- Safeguarding Children and Adults
- Vicarious Trauma
- Substance Misuse
- Suicide and Self-harm
- Mental Health First Aid - NHS Wales
- Pre-trail therapy
- Arts in Health - level 3
- StopSO (Stop Sexual Offending) trained
- Private Practice: Counsellor, Relationship and Psychosexual Therapist and a Clinical Supervisor working with Individuals, Couples and those in any kind of Relationship.
- WT4C (Working Together for Children) all Wales trainer - Core Assets & Relate Cymru.
- Specialist Psychotherapist - Stop Sex Offending - StopSO
- Assistant Manager & Administrator - RASASC-NW
- Counsellor (Volunteer)- Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre (RASASC-NW)
- Trainer - Parenting for Separating Parents (Relate Cymru)
- Child Contact Centre Co-ordinator (Relate Cymru)
- Counsellor - local homeless charity
- Development Worker - local homeless charity.
- Counsellor (Volunteer) - CAIS
- Counsellor - School 11 - 18 yr olds
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Everyone goes through phases when their sex life is not what they would like it to be. Sex therapy can help you if you are experiencing difficulties and can help to improve your physical intimacy. Common sex problems include: Getting or maintaining an erection; premature ejaculation; not getting aroused or unable to have an orgasm; painful sex; different sex drives; stopped having sex; believing that you are accessing too much porn. Sex Therapy can help you address the psychological issues that affect your sex life.
In my private practice, I also work clinically with sex offenders, or those at risk of offending, as I believe that offering specialist treatment for this population not only assists in the management and reduction of risk, but also contributes to the ultimate ideal of reducing the prevalence of sexual violence.
Counselling - 50 minute sessions
Evening, Weekend, Day time and Early morning sessions are available
either Face to face, Skype (for couples or individuals) or Telephone (for individuals)
- £45 week days and evenings
- £50 weekend
- I am also an EAP provider.
- Concessions are available for Trainee Student Counsellors.
Walk and Talk Therapy - 4 hours over 3 days
- £120 for the 4 hours
Day 1: 1 hour in the therapy room
Day 2: up to 1.5 hours outdoors
Day 3: up to 1.5 hours outdoors.
Supervisees - 1 or 1.5 hour sessions
- £40 for 1 hour
- £50 for 1.5 hours
- Concessions are available for Student Counsellors
I work to the ethical framework of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists (COSRT).
I comply with data protection legislation and maintain the security of all client information. I would not normally share information from or about my clients except in very exceptional circumstances where there was good reason to be concerned about issues of safety, particularly if these related to a vulnerable individual.
As an ethical practitioner, I receive regular supervision in accordance with BACP and COSRT guidance, where client confidentiality is maintained.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evening, weekend, daytime and early morning appointments available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I currently offer supervision to counsellors/therapists working with individuals and couples from my base in near to Bangor, or in Little Sutton, near to Ellesmere Port, CH66 area. .View supervision profile