I work with families, supporting family difficulties
I can work with individuals to think about family issues they are finding difficult I also work with couples and whichever family members wish to attend, or a combination of any of the above.
Who benefits from family work?
Do any of these situations sound familiar?
- constant arguments with your child / teenager / partner
- arguments with your partner /family about how to manage
- door slamming and walk outs, tense home environment
- not knowing where they are, worries about who your child/teen is mixing with
- worries about drug/alcohol use/ mental health problems
- communication breakdown
- changes or stress in your family which seem overwhelming
I work in a tried and tested way with children young people and their families. This involves taking the focus away from negative and blaming interactions and encouraging more helpful and supportive ways of strengthening relationships in families.
I work with family members to look at how relationships in the family – where they are working well I support the family unit to build on these strengths and while also focusing on where the family may need help to make some changes.
What would it look like?
At first, we suggest weekly meetings between the with the family, so I begin to understand your family and begin to work out some goals that all the family members can agree on.
It’s really about talking and doing things. Having helpful conversations, working together to try and work things out without anyone being blamed.
A typical meeting, or session, would take place in your home (unless you prefer to meet elsewhere).
Normally the sessions will be about an hour. I will want to be helpful and will seek your permission to help organise the talking, but what is worked on has to be what you the family choose.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am fully qualified Family Therapist, UKCP registered.
I am trained to work with all types of families going through difficulties they would like support with. I also have a specialism and interest in working with teenagers trained in an approach that particularly looks at the needs of supporting teenagers and young adults.
I have over 20 years of experience of working in with families of all type from those with small children to those with adult children. Families often need support to get through difficult times and making the space to talk as a family is often instrumental in the family finding their own resources to make changes.
I have worked in a variety of environments including, specialist schools, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Clinics and Social Care including adult mental health and learning disabilities. I work in ways that are respectful to your family; involving you and your family in creating solutions and creating a sense of hope for positive changes.
I am also a trained supervisor and offer supervision and teach these ideas to social workers, teachers, psychologists youth offending workers.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Photos & videos
I have a sliding scale for families of £45 - £70
For individuals £35 - £60
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer flexible sessions to fit with the needs of the family. So as well as day time sessions can offer evening / weekend sessions to fit around work/school pattern of the family members.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am an approved supervisor in Systemic Supervision.View supervision profile