John Bradley MBACP (Snr. Accred) Children and Young People's Counsellor
The Ellesmere Centre For Psychotherapy and Training
861 Holderness Road
0790 191 3291
Hello! My name is John. Thank you for visiting my profile. I hope that you find it helpful.
I am caring, person centred counsellor and I enjoy working with children and young people.
Coming to counselling is a courageous step for children and young people. I aim to offer you a safe, supportive and honest therapeutic relationship. I will listen respectfully and compassionately to you. I will go at your own pace and I will not tell you what to do.
In addition to talking therapy, I may also offer you the opportunity to work creatively. This means that I may offer you the opportunity to use painting, drawing, stories and sand play in your counselling sessions. Such creative ways of working I have found really helpful for children/young people in enabling them to begin to express how they are feeling.
Throughout all my training, I have attended counselling and I feel that I have greatly benefited from it. Counselling has helped me to understand myself much better. It has allowed me to develop more caring ways of dealing with the many challenges in my life.
I can offer both short-term counselling (usually up to 6 sessions) and long term counselling (sometimes over many months).
If you are unsure of whether counselling is for your child, please do get in contact and I will be happy to answer any of your questions.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Counselling: Using the Person Centered Approach
- Certificate in Working with Children and Young People
- Advanced Certificate in Therapeutic Play
- BACP Individual Accreditation Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- Certificate in Person Centered Supervision
- BACP Senior Accredited Supervisor (of Individual Counsellors)
I am committed to ongoing CPD and have also attended Hull Local Safeguarding Children's Board training workshops:
- Level 1 Safeguarding Children
- Level 2 Safeguarding Children
- Identifying Harmful Sexual Behaviour in Pre-Pubescent Children
- Identifying Harmful Sexual Behaviour in Adolescents
I have over 17 years experience working with children and young people. I have worked for the following organisations:
- Lincoln University's Counselling Service (working university students aged 18 upwards),
- Youth Information Counselling Units in Beverley and Hull (working with young people aged 13 to 25 years old),
- YPSS Counselling Service in Hull (working with young people aged 13 to 25 years old).
- (Additionally, I have completed a 2 year placement at Hull University’s Counselling Service (working university students aged 18 upwards).)
Currently, I work in private practice and I am based at the Ellesmere Centre, Hull.
I am a Senior Accredited member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy).
I am also a member of the BACP's Children and Young People Division.
My practice is informed by the BACP's Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
I hold a current DBS check (formerly CRB) certificate and I also hold professional indemnity insurance.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I also work with a range of issues affecting children and young people:
- Bereavement and loss
- Bullying and cyberbullying
- Family secrets
- Family break up and parents separating / divorcing
- Low self esteem
- Moving Schools (from primary school to secondary school and leaving school)
- Relationship issues (with friends and family)
- Self harm and suicidal thoughts
There is no problem too big or too small to discuss in counselling.
Photos & videos
Counselling at the Ellesmere Centre:
I charge £40 per session.
I can accept cash or a cheque.
I can also provide you with a receipt, if required.
Counselling in Schools/Academies:
Please get in contact with me.
I am able to offer counselling at either the Ellesmere Centre or in Schools/Academies.
There is a car park at the rear of the Ellesmere Centre.
There is also a ground floor counselling room (no step) access for clients with disabilities.
If you would like to arrange a counselling appointment in school or academy, please do get in contact to discuss this with me.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer appointments for counselling on Monday to Friday 900am to 600pm.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am a Person Centered supervisor and have been providing supervision since 2008.View supervision profile