Joanne Strong MSc MBACP
Norwood Therapy Rooms
537 Norwood Road
The counselling I provide can help you to explore yourself & your challenges, deepen understanding of yourself and others, and develop new ways to cope with and engage with life. It can be easy to lose contact with yourself and others, and therapy can help you to find ways back to connection and deepen your relationships.
As a Counsellor I will help you to understand what is happening for you, and support you in achieving your goals. Counselling can help you find new ways to cope, and enhance your relationships with others and with yourself. My training is Integrative which means I draw from a number of approaches, to be able to meet and assist each individual I work with in the most suitable way. This might include:
- Exploring your current challenges, relationships, thoughts, feelings and emotions to gain new insight and perspectives
- Understanding and working with difficult feelings such as anxiety and depression
- Exploring past experiences, to understand how the past is holding you back
- Discovering habitual patterns: being able to 'step back' and see what loops and patterns you might be caught in. Awareness brings choice and the possibility of doing things differently, finding a way out of destructive or limiting patterns
- Reflecting on life experiences and finding personal meaning to help you move on and enter into life in a deeper, more satisfying way.
For me, the heart of counselling is about being alongside: helping you to look at and explore yourself, to help you connect with yourself, life and others at a deeper level.
Counselling can help with:
Relationship issues & family issues, anxiety and generalised anxiety disorder, depression or feeling sad, panic attacks, separation & divorce, postnatal issues including depression, abuse, redundancy, loss & bereavement, illness and coming to terms with a medical diagnosis and any issue which has left you feeling confused, overwhelmed or out of touch with yourself.
Initially, I suggest meeting for an hour, to explore what is prompting you to seek counselling, to understand what you are looking for and to see if we think we can work well together. If we decide to go ahead, I usually recommend 6-8 weekly session of 50 minutes, with the possibility of working longer term if that seems appropriate.
Training, qualifications & experience
I hold an MSc degree (with Distinction) in Therapeutic Counselling from the University of Greenwich. I have also received training in guiding individuals and groups in meditation and mindfulness. I am a registered member of the BACP (MBACP).
As well as private practice, I work in the NHS as a counsellor in a GP practice, working with individuals experiencing anxiety, low self-esteem, depression, relationship issues and bereavement/loss. I am also part of the assessment team at a charitable service, working with potential clients to establish how best to meet their therapeutic needs.
I have experience of working both short term & long term, helping individuals find insight and develop new strategies and life skills.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
I charge £45 for regular, weekly 50 minute sessions.
Initial meetings to explore working together are charged at £15, to cover room costs.
If we decide to work together, I would initially suggest 6-8 sessions, reviewing after this period whether longer term work is of interest.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer evening appointments up to 9pm as well as daytime appointments from 8am.
Types of client