Joanne Strong MSc MBACP
Norwood Therapy Rooms
537 Norwood Road
I provide counselling and psychotherapy in a safe, supportive environment, facilitating your journey to explore yourself, find meaning, deepen understanding and deepen relationships with self and with others. It can be easy to lose contact with the self and others, and therapy can help you to find ways back to connection.
As a counsellor I provide a space in which to be fully heard, along with supportive tools to help you achieve your goals. My training is Integrative which means I draw from a number of approaches, to be able to meet and assist each individual I work with in the most suitable way. This might include:
- Psychodynamic work: exploring past experiences, particularly those from childhood, to understand how the past is holding you back and to find ways to free yourself from old patterns and move forward
- Humanistic approaches: understanding your current experience of life is key to bringing about change. Humanistic approaches help you to explore your relationships, thoughts and emotions, gaining new insights and perspectives, opening the way to new ways of being and relating
- CBT & mindfulness based approaches: sometimes we get caught in habitual patterns: CBT and mindfulness based approaches provide the opportunity to 'step back' and see what behavioural loops and patterns we are caught in. Awareness brings choice and the possibility of doing things differently, finding a way out of destructive or limiting patterns
- Existential & transpersonal awareness: at times the big unanswered questions of life can lie behind our difficulties; questions such as 'what is it all for?', 'who am I?' and 'what does it all mean?'. Reflecting on and finding personal meaning can be an important part of counselling and key to entering into life in a deeper, more satisfying way
For me, the heart of counselling is about being alongside: helping you to look at and explore yourself, to help you connect with yourself, life and others at a deeper level.
Initially, I suggest meeting for an hour, to explore what is prompting you to seek counselling, to understand what you are looking for and to see if we think we can work well together. If we decide to go ahead, I usually recommend 6-8 weekly session of 50 minutes, with the possibility of working longer term if that seems appropriate.
Training, qualifications & experience
I hold an MSc degree (with Distinction) in Therapeutic Counselling from the University of Greenwich. I have also received training in guiding individuals and groups in meditation and mindfulness. I am a registered member of the BACP (MBACP).
As well as private practice, I have worked in a charitable setting for several years, working long term with a range of issues including depression, anxiety, bereavement, relationship and attachment difficulties, addiction and low self-esteem. I am part of the assessment team at this service, working with potential clients to establish how best to meet their therapeutic needs.
I also work within the NHS IAPT service, working with individuals on a short term basis to find insight and develop new strategies and life skills.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
I charge £45 for regular, weekly 50 minute sessions.
Initial meetings to explore working together are charged at £15, to cover room costs.
If we decide to work together, I would initially suggest 6-8 sessions, reviewing after this period whether longer term work is of interest.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer evening appointments up to 9pm as well as daytime appointments from 9am.
Types of client