Joanne Collins Msc. UKCP Registered Systemic and Family Psychotherapist
South London, Streatham
Reducing anxiety associated with relationships, sex and intimacy / 07932 733974 - feel free to text if you cant call or email and we can arrange a time to have a quick chat.
Reducing anxieties associated with relationships, sex and intimacy for couples and individuals.
I have a genuine interest in facilitating positive change in individuals, couples and/or families experiencing discomfort. Clients I have worked with make reference to being able to think again, being able to consider other options, be able to see the problem differently or even put the problem to rest.
Asking and looking for help can be daunting as we may not know what type of help we need. Internet searches can be vast and family and friends, though well meaning, may not understand. Finding the right therapist is tricky but not impossible.
Contact me, call, text or email and we can book an initial meeting where we can be honest about your needs and if I can help. An initial 10 minute call is all it takes to start this process.
How I work
I'm open minded, humane and compassionate. When you feel ready to make changes I will gently challenge you to do so. With sex related work there is never any nakedness in the room. I may give you exercises to try at home, so we can that we are actively in a process of change. If you like someone who sits silently then I may not be the best fit for you. Sessions are interactive.
I don't wish to keep you in counselling longer than you need, and if I'm not the right person to be working with you, I'll try to recommend someone who may be more appropriate.
Who I work with
Individual – If you need help with relationships, experience fear, anxiety, trauma and sadness in ways that worry you. If you've been a victim of sexual abuse or have experienced abuse. Family relationships can be worrying or having a boss who is a bully. How to live life after divorce? We can present any number of emotional concerns that we may want support with. This list is not meant to be exhaustive.
Families – If you need help expressing needs in a safe/supportive environment, want to address issues of discipline, parental separation and loss, coping with a recent diagnosis of mental illness affecting the entire family, or issues of a incest and sexual abuse, to give but a few examples, then Family therapy could be beneficial to you.
I work with clients who are in same or mixed sex relationships or who might not be in relationships at all. I work with clients who are ethically non monogomous.
- 'Just not getting on as well as we did'
- Life stage changes
- Negotiating monogamy
- Relationship history and repeating patterns
- Relationships post newborns
- Recent medical diagnosis
Psychosexual issues - Vagina monologues
- Dysperunia (painful sex) - whether through penetration or touching around the vulva
- Lack of lubrication
- Non Arousal
- Vaginismus (where your vagina struggles to engage in penetrative play)
Psychosexual issues - Penis monologues
- Delayed ejaculation(when it takes you longer than you’d like to ejaculate)
- Lack of or maintaining erection when you want them
- Rapid ejaculation (ejaculating quicker than you’d like - not called Premature Ejaculation - everyone has different times!)
- Retrograde ejaculation (when ejaculate goes backwards into the bladder)
Psychosexual issues - Everyone
- Analismus (where you struggle to engage in penetrative anal play)
- Anorgasmia (inability to orgasm)
- Body dysmorphia (excessive unhappiness with your body)
- Fear of intimacy
- Fertility Problems, miscarriages, terminations
- Growing older and changes involved
- Impact of religion on sensuality / sexuality
- Low desire or low libido
- Medical conditions that are effecting sexual function (such as Cancer, Diabetes, Heart Problems or HIV)
- Not able to maintain / sabotaging intimate relationships
- Porn - if you are concerned you're watching 'too much' or may have compulsive behaviour.
- Physical and mental abuse
- Post Natal Phase - adjusting to post baby bodies and family dynamics
- Sexual assault or abuse
- Sexual orientation – if you’re unsure of your sexual orientation and this is causing you difficulty.
- Virginity or celibacy
Training, qualifications & experience
Currently undertaking Professional Doctorate in Systemic Psychotherapy, Tavistock and Portman Clinic, validated by University of East London
2014 Post Graduate Diploma in Psychosexual and Relationship Therapy, London Diploma, Accredited by Middlesex University
2012 - MSc in Systemic and Family Therapy, Institute of Family Therapy, validated by Birkbeck University. UKCP accredited
2009 - MA in Transpersonal Child, Adolescent and Family Therapy, Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Education (CCPE), validated by de Montfort University. UKCP accredited
2003 - MSc Rehabilitative Counselling and Health Care, Brunel University
1. Interpersonal Psychotherapy is one of the evidence based treatments for people experiencing depression
2. EMDR levels 1 - 3, is an evidence based treatment for people experiencing trauma
3. Mentalization Based Therapy is an evidence based treatment for people who have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. It has been expanded to include working with people who want to work on their intimate relationships.
Rape and Sexual Abuse, Bereavement training, AIM Sex Offender training, Psycho-therapeutic thinking in Race and Culture, Brief Psychoanalytic work with Young Black People.
With 17 years experience in the field of mental health I am a UKCP Registered Systemic and Family Psychotherapist and a Psychosexual Therapist. I work with clients to reducing feelings of anxiety and depression associated with life and living . I am qualified to work with children, adults, couples and families.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Child related issues
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship issues
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Special interest in working with themes around identity and difference e.g. sexuality, sexual dysfunction, psychosexual issues, race, culture and religion.
Group work available on a number of different issues e.g self esteem, abuse, attachment based problems, bereavement and sexuality.
£65 per hour (50 minutes) for individuals
£100 per session (75 minutes) for couples and families
Couples and families can be seen fortnightly or weekly depending on the needs at the time.
Gracefield Gardens, SW16 2ST
Nearest train stations
Streatham, Streatham Hill
Nearest bus routes
P13 109 118 133 159 201 250 255 333
There are 2 disabled parking spaces available outside the centre. On-street parking is available.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available daytime, evenings and Saturdays.
Types of client